We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Hampshire/ Vermont for non-drivers?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
New Hampshire/ Vermont for non-drivers?

I'm planning to take a coach from Boston to New Hampshire in mid Oct 08 and plan to stay at North Conway for one night.

I hope to visit the beautiful autumn sights along the Kanc scenic byway, Flume Gorge, Clark Trading Post, Franconia Notch.

I'm not too sure if there are short distance bus services that ply these routes?

Also, is it difficult to get to Vermont by coach from North Conway/Lincoln? I plan to stay in Vermont for 2 nights, also for foliage.

Appreciate any help.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
Flume Gorge
Flume Gorge
1,319 Reviews
Franconia, NH
Franconia Notch
Franconia Notch
88 Reviews
Franconia, NH
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Hampshire/ Vermont for non-drivers?

Getting around without a car can be a challenge. I don't know if there is some kind of tourism oriented shuttle bus service that runs through Franconia Notch or the Kanc. Maybe someone else knows. If you take the bus to North COnway and stay in that area, you will be on the other side of the mountains from all the sights you have listed.

On the other hand, there are areas you can walk to right from North Conway. You could rent a bicycle to get around for a day or part of a day. The COnway Scenic Railway will get you out into the foliage. There is probably a company that runs moose tours to see the moose in the evening. EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) and the AMC (Appalachian Mountain CLub) probably run various hikes, paddle trips etc that you could pay to be a part of. EMS is located near the Scenic Railway, and AMC trips begin at the Mount Washington Base station in Pinkham Notch. I believe the same bus that takes you to N. Conway will stop at Pinkham Notch as it continues north.

Getting to VT is possible, but the easiest is probably to go to St. Johnsbury, which is across the Connecticut River from Littleton, NH. If you want to get up to the Burlington area, including Stowe and maybe Montpelier, you will need to take a bus that travels up I-89. You might be able to go back down to Concord or Manchester, NH and change for that bus. But you may ahve to go all the way back to Boston to get the right bus. You'll need to check the bus schedules.

Good luck

Mentioned in this post
Franconia Notch
Franconia Notch
88 Reviews
Franconia, NH
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
Conway
Conway
White Mountains, NH
Connecticut
Connecticut
United States
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Concord
Concord
New Hampshire
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,244 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Hampshire/ Vermont for non-drivers?

Nextstopls is right. Unless you can find a tour bus, you are going to spend all you time on a bus just getting to your locations. Look thru some of the past posts. I think that we figured out the bus time from Boston to N Conway was 8 hours (usually a 2 1/2 hour trip). Going across New England is very difficult by bus. If you insist on taking a bus, then stay in 1 place or in my humble opinion you will not have a great trip.

Train is also difficult as they go to Vt thru Springfield and also take 5-8 hours depending on stations.

Good luck

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Conway
Conway
White Mountains, NH
New England
New England
United States
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Hampshire/ Vermont for non-drivers?

Thank you all for your valuable inputs.

On 2nd thot, we might stay in Franconia instead and concentrate on the Franconia Notch State Park area. We will most likely travel back to Boston to catch another coach to Vermont as well.

I read that there are also bike rentals near exit 34B Franconia Park, does any one know if these services are available during October?

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Franconia
Franconia
White Mountains, NH
Franconia Notch State Park
Franconia Notch State...
542 Reviews
Franconia, NH
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,244 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Hampshire/ Vermont for non-drivers?

Have you figured out if there is a bus to Franconia Notch? If there is you and you decide to go back to Boston for another bus to VT you are traveling a huge distance to get someplace that is not that far away. I am really not sure what you are thinking about given the very short time period. I hope that you are not traveling from Singapore to spend 15 or more hours on a bus in 3 days when you can see Boston, Lexington and Concord, Cape Cod or many other places that are wonderful to visit and much more convenient.

Mentioned in this post
Franconia Notch
Franconia Notch
88 Reviews
Franconia, NH
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Concord
Concord
New Hampshire
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
559 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Hampshire/ Vermont for non-drivers?

I agree with neslaw, if three days is your fall foliage trip then I would not only focus on one state but one section of that state. Otherwise you will spend all of your time on a bus looking at the sights through a window while getting from point A to point B.

You could easily spend three days touring the sights in the notches and White Mountains depending on your interests.

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Hampshire/ Vermont for non-drivers?

The bus goes to Lincoln. I believe it stops at the Sunoco gas station not far from the Interstate Highway. You should have no problem renting a bicycle in Lincoln. The bike shop may even be right across from the bus stop. I don't recall which one it is, and there may be another that also rents bikes. You might Google <bike shops - Lincoln, NH>. I'll bet they will pop up. The bicycle will make it easy to get around Lincoln and up to Woodstock.

I think the bicycle is a good idea. It will give you a way to get around. And, I am assuming you are in good shape. The area is very hilly. But you may also befriend some fellow travelers and either share the experience, or with some luck, meet someone with a car. You never know.

The Hobo Railroad is in Lincoln. My opinion is that it is not worth the time and money. Others may disagree. I love trains, but this was rally a slow boring ride through some flat back woods. Nothing spectacular. You will encounter much prettier and more fabulous scenery on your rented bicycle.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Hobo Railroad
Hobo Railroad
260 Reviews
Lincoln, NH
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Hampshire/ Vermont for non-drivers?

Thanx for all your tips!

We will travel by Concord bus which drops us at Franconia, and have also managed to book a motel (Gale River Motel) near Franconia State Park which offers shuttle service to the State Park too. Yay!

We are heading up to Montreal after our Vermont trip.

Thanx again.

Mentioned in this post
Concord
Concord
New Hampshire
Franconia
Franconia
White Mountains, NH
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Hampshire/ Vermont for non-drivers?

Montreal is actually a good idea. Can you get from Franconia to Montreal by bus? Your time might be better spent if you go from NH to Montreal and back to Boston or another destination through Vermont, rather than going back to Boston to go to VT and Montreal. There is a bus/train combo that will take you through VT and down to New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, DC. Probably bus service, as well.

Nice job, by the way, in finding the best bus stop with a motel with shuttle service. It is reassuring that a visitor can get around without a car in this country, provided they are patient and resourceful.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Franconia
Franconia
White Mountains, NH
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
9. Re: New Hampshire/ Vermont for non-drivers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 23:21
Get answers to your questions about North Conway