We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Decorations

Which North Conway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Christmas Decorations

My wife and I are completely divided about whether we should come to Stowe or over to North Conway in NH. We are looking for the best Christmas Decorations possible, since we are coming from Florida and want a change of scenery. Also, we would like to do some winter activities and which town do you think has more? (Skiing, Tubing, Sleigh Rides, etc...) I appreciate it,

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Decorations

I was just in North Conway this weekend, and really they don't do much decorating. Down in the old village where the train depot is, there is a tree, a few lights around. Without snow they aren't very Christmasy.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Decorations

Without snow, I don't think anyplace is very Christmassy!! Sorry San Diego and Florida. As for the "best", you will enjoy either place. You can find all of the activities at either place. I have some pictures taken over last Christmas in NC. For scenery, you can't beat Attitash, Bretton Woods or Wildcat (see ski magazine for confirmation of that statement). Quite honestly, they are both special places.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Decorations

Stowe is a real Currier & Ives scene -- assuming we get snow. North Conway is also very pretty in the winter. Don't look for lots of lights, and "overdone" decorations. Both destinations can rely on their natural beauty. The one advantage to N. Conway would be your proximity to several ski areas, all of which have winter fun other than downhill skiing.

You might also consider Jackson Village if you're thinking NH... it's just north of N. Conway I'll let other weigh in -- but that might combine the best of both the scenery of Stowe and the access to lots of fun.

Oh, and do not attempt downhill skiing. You'll get addicted and have to move here.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Decorations

We went to Stowe once and never returned. We try to visit NC 2-3 times a year. We love the village at night in the winter, with the little lights twinkling. Jackson is also beautiful like a Currier and Ives scene. It has been years since we were in Stowe but we certainly find more a downtown village area in NC that we can walk around. Lots of great places to eat and lots to do. I don't think you can go wrong by coming to North Conway!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Decorations

TD

TA really needs to ban the word "best" from posts. As you can see, the NC folks like NC and the Stowe folks like Stowe. What a shock!!!! But, KC is from Nova Scotia and that vote went to NC.

If that isn't enough to put us over the top, I don't know what is.

Seriously, both are great places. As I tell my wife, stop agonizing and just choose. You will have a great time where ever you choose.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Decorations

TD

If you are near your computer now, go to

www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/ravines/

and see if Stowe can beat this view.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Decorations

Haven't been to Stowe since I was a kid, so won't try to compare Stowe and North Conway. But have spent a coouple of recent Christmas weeks at a brother-in-laws timeshare in North Conway village. It's an enjoyable place to stay if you like your decorations more traditional and not so over-the-top! But, for that real Currier-and-Ives feel, whoever suggested Jackson Village nailed it! Candles in the windows, nicely-decorated non-overdone trees, tasteful building decorations....etc.

For activities, check out the following list which appeared in a recent Mt Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce newsletter.....may help you decide....

Ten great ideas for getting out and playing this winter season.

Skiing & Snowboarding -With seven alpine ski areas and more than 250 combined alpine ski trails, it is no wonder Mt. Washington Valley boasts some of the best skiing and riding in the East. Come enjoy the day at any one of our seven family friendly ski resorts and see what all the fuss is about. Click here for our midweek ski and stay packages.

Cross Country Skiing- With six Nordic Centers and over 450 kilometers of cross country ski trails in Mt. Washington Valley, what better way to get out and go this winter than by cross country skiing? Whether you are looking for a peaceful trail winding along frozen rivers and fields or a day of fun, the Mt. Washington Valley has it all. Click here for our midweek ski and stay packages.

Skating - Whether you enjoy indoor or outdoor skating, the Mt. Washington Valley has it all. On clear days and nights enjoy outdoor skating at Schouler Park in North Conway, the Conway Village public rink or the Jackson Village public rink. For indoor skating as well as rentals, and lessons visit the Ham Arena in Conway, NH.

Snowshoeing - If you have the equipment and the knowhow, snowshoeing makes a great way to tour the beautiful landscape of Mt. Washington Valley. If you have never been and would like to try, Eastern Mountain Sports Outdoor Exploration has great snowshoeing excursions that provide guests with the equipment and instruction to take the stress out of planning your next outdoor adventure.

Snowmobiling-Whether you are a first time rider looking for a guided ride and rental or an experienced rider bringing your own sleds, the Mt. Washington Valley has trails and snowmobile rental and guide companies to fit your needs. Come enjoy the snow at your own speed!

Tubing - If skiing or riding sounds like too much work and coordination this winter, try tubing at King Pine Ski Area, Cranmore Mountain Resort or Great Glen Trails. No need to trek your tube up the slope, there are lifts for that! Tubers can enjoy a day, or night, of leisurely outdoor recreation that is sure to be fun for the whole family.

Sleigh Rides - What says winter wonderland more than a Victorian sleigh ride through wooded forests, over bridges and across beautiful fields of snow? Choose from sleigh rides offered at Nestlenook Estate and Resort, Farm by the River B&B with Stables or Darby Field Inn & Restaurant, each of which will delight guests as they snuggle up together while enjoying the beautiful, snow covered mountain scenery.

Ice Climbing - Always wanted to try ice climbing but don't know how? International Mountain Climbing School offers scheduled courses, clinics and trips for climbers of all levels of experience and ability. Introductory, one-day courses offer introduction to ice climbing equipment and safety as well as practical experience actually climbing moderately angled snow and ice terrain. The best part; IMCS provides all the technical gear needed!

Dog Sledding - New England Dogsledding provides thrilling dog sledding experiences into the White Mountain National Forest trail systems. Guests can experience the beautiful mountain scenery with a relaxed outing propelled by a large team of friendly and athletic Alaskan Husky sled dogs.

Mt. Washington Auto Road's SnowCoach - The specially constructed all-wheel drive and unique 4-track system of the SnowCoach, allows guest to ride up the northern flank of Mount Washington to tree line, taking in one of a kind views. Looking for a little more adventure? The SnowCoach gives you the option to cross country ski, telemark ski or snowshoe down the Auto Road.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Decorations

I vote North Conway as well. Surprise, surprise. No seriously. NC is more affordable than Stowe. I find there is definitely more to do. Come and enjoy.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Decorations

MOTG

Great post. Make sure you save that one so you don't have to keep writing all that over and over.

10. Re: Christmas Decorations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2010, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about North Conway