We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Conway or Glen?

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
North Conway or Glen?

As part of an 18 night New England road trip, I plan to have three nights (2 days) in the White Mountains area in order to take in the Kancamangus Highway (1 day) also to visit the Castle in the Clouds and the area around there (1 day).

Don't know whether to stay in North Conway (Colonial motel) or Glen (Covered Bridge House). I realise they are completely different lodgings.

Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Conway or Glen?

Besides location the big difference is lodging style - B&B or motel. People can have varied opinions on both. The Colonial location will put you closer to rt 112, the start of the Kanc and your drive to the Castle.

You did not indicate when you are going but depending on the time of the year, rt 16 can be very busy with traffic.

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Conway or Glen?

Hi & thanks for your reply. We will be in that area 3,4 & 5th October , , , , busy I guess!!!

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Conway or Glen?

Just as an FYI, though you may already know this, the Kanc is 26 miles of beautiful vistas. There are many hikes that begin off the Kanc, if that is an interest. But it is not a one day event. Maybe a couple of hours, unless you do a hike. So, your day on the Kanc leaves plenty more for the area, and there is plenty to do. A very natural driving tour would take you from the Kanc from Conway, across to Lincoln/Woodstock, up through Franconia Notch (with plent to do int he notch) across Rte 3 to Twin Mountain and then down through Crawford Notch on Rte 302, which brings you out to Bartlett and Glen. Rte 16 connects Glen to North Conway, completing the circle. An alternate route would be to go from Twin Mtn to Gorham, and then down through Pinkham Notch on Rte 16.

So, either place that you stay - Glen or N. COnway - will be convenient to accessing all that the White Mountains has to offer, for as much time as you want to spend doing them, whether a leisurely drive or a strenuous hike. I don't know what time of year you are planning to come. North COnway is a very busy place during ski season, summer, and Fall Leaf Peeping season, especially on weekends. There is a lot of outlet shopping which draws shoppers and cars, and Rte 16 can get pretty congested. Some advantage to being in Glen.

Castle In The Clouds is in Moultonborough, which is really in the Lakes Region, on Lake Winnipesaukee. I assume that you will stay in the same place for all three nights. Moultonborough is about a half hour to 45 minutes from N. Conway, and the extra distance from Glen, through N. COnway, to get there. So, there is some advantage to being in N. Conway if your schedule permits you to avoid the crowds, or you don't really find that a huge inconvenience or negative.

I can't speak to the two specific lodgings you are considering, if that is what you are asking for.

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Conway or Glen?

Hi, yes we will stay in the Conway area for the three nights.

When I said the Kancamangus Highway (1 day), I meant a round trip from Conway to Fabyan, Bethleham, Franconia and back to Conway taking in as much as we can in a day . . . . roughly what kind of distance is this drive?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,090 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Conway or Glen?

It's not the distance, it's the time. The route you propose is an all day trip. On your dates in October it will be slow going. I'd choose to stay in NC at Colonial because getting back up to Glen in the late afternoon or evening could add as much as two hours to the drive. That's what traffic was like there last year on that weekend.

The other day drive that you should not miss is the shorter loop that includes Pinkham and Crawford notches. That is shorter and easier from Glen, but offers great fall color viewing and the side trip on Bear Notch Road out of Bartlett is a good add on. Just turn around when you get to the Kanc, or you could be adding that 2 hours again.

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Conway or Glen?

Thanks RedRox, I'll keep that in mind!

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Conway or Glen?

HI Teeside,

I can't speak specifically to either hotels's accomodations. I can speak to their locations and both are fine!!!

As for traffic in N.COnway. Please look at my post on the "How bad is it" thread from last week. It talks about the traffic and I list several roads that will completely bypass the traffic. RedROx talks about 2 extra hours going thRu N. COnway and he's 100% correct, if you insist on driving through there on Rt 16. But it's completely unneccessary.

THe one great bypass road is Westside Rd (west side of the Saco River vs. Rt16 on the east side). I just checked your hotels on Googlemaps. THe hotel in Glen is literally within a couple hundred yards of the north end of Westside Road. From there to COnway/beginning of the Kancamaugus (through N Conway) on Rt 16 will take you 2 hours of traffic on a busy weekend. It will take you 15 minutes via the Westside Road.

Your other hotel in N. Conway is right in the middle of town. A great location for shopping, resturants, WALKING over to the common or train station. Perfect! The problem is that all that "N Conway traffic" is right at your door step. Any driving that takes you south on Rt 16 is going to be miserable!!! HOWEVER, check that "How bad is it" thread. I mention a road called River Rd. It leaves from Rt 16 within a couple hundred yards or less of you hotel and then connects with Westside Rd. Using River/Westside Road from this hotel to Conway (beginning of the Kancamaugus HW) is appx 8-10 minutes!!!

There you go!!! No traffic problems for you in N.Conway!!!

BTW, looking out to the west from N.Conway, you'll see 2 smallish mountains w/sheer rock cliff faces. THe one to the right is Cathedral Ledge. Taking that River Rd, you can be there in 5 minutes. THere are usually climbers that you can watch. You can continue on the road and be at the top in another 5 minutes. Awesome views, easy to get to. I've been there 100+ times!!!

The 2 loop roads given to you earlier are both great and you should check them out.

From Glen, N on 16 (past Mt Washington Auto Rd) to Gorham, west on Rt 2 to 115 to Twin Mtn, back on 302 to Glen. Very nice, take the Mt washington auto rd if weather is OK, best earlier in the AM as clouds gather during the day.

THe better loop IMHO, is from Glen, w on 302 to Twin Mtn, s on 3 to Franconia Notch, to e on 112(Kancamaugus HW) to Conway and back via Westside Rd to Glen (or N Conway). Do stop and hike at The Flume and also on the loop to (I think its called) The pool. Also, check out The Basin. If the weather is nice, once you visit the Basin, walk to the west up the hill and away from the stream. Just as the sound of that stream is fading, you'll hear another in front of you. Keep going and in short order you find a new stream cascading down the mountain side through pools and waterfalls. Its an awesome sight, and good for a cool dip in one of hte pools OR just for the views.

Also, if you are up for it, on the Kanc you'll come to COvered Bridge. Drive across it and park. There is a campground near by, as well as a trail called Boulder Loop Trail. Reading from my AMC WH MTN Trail Guide, it's 1.2m up to a spur trail that leads to some awesome ledges - views of Mt Chocurua and the HW. The loop is 2.7 total back down to the Campground and your car.

BTW, that road (Dugway Rd) is another shortcut leading back to Westside Road.

Hope this helps...

Kevin

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Conway or Glen?

Hi Kevin - that's fantastic information! I have copied & pasted it to keep. I was mistaken in the dates we will be in the area, we are not there on a weekend but Tues, Wed & Thurs 2,3 & 4th of October, so I guess it will be quieter . . . . good!

I think we will go for the B/B in Glen, we much prefer that kind of lodging and it's only a short drive from N. Conway.

We are looking for good scenery and simply whatever New England has to offer, I'm also a keen photographer so photo locations will please me!

Once again thank you

Brian

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Conway or Glen?

Driving during mid week will be much better, too.

10. Re: North Conway or Glen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2013, 10:28
Get answers to your questions about North Conway