We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where after North Conway?? October 2012

Fort William...
Level Contributor
178 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Where after North Conway?? October 2012

Hi there

We are arriving (from Scotland) on 3rd Oct into JFK then heading North as far as Maine and back to JFK.

I *think* I have the first part of our trip sorted out...

Arrive JFK approx 3.30 on the 3rd. Collect rental car and drive to either New Haven or Mystic CT (any opinions on either place?)

Stay the night there and explore a bit the next morning - would like to see Yale! Then later that day head to Newport, RI and stay there for the night of the 4th and perhaps take a trip to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket the next morning.

Next day head out to Cape Cod and spend the day/night there.

From Cape Cod we were thinking to head up through Concord and out to Woodstock - am I right in my thinking that this is where to pick up the Kancamagus Highway so we would drive on that to North Conway?? Or Montpelier?? Which would you recommend. I would like to do some shopping at the outlets but we would have a night to stay in either place.

My next part of the journey is a bit fuzzy... We would like to go to Bar Harbour and get up early for the sunrise at Mt Cadillac abut don't know which route would be best to get there.

After Bar Harbour we will have some days in Freeport, Maine as a base to see the surrounding area before travelling back to New York before our flight on the morning of the 12th Oct.

How does this sound- hope I have posted in the right forum - it is really from North Conway that I am confused but then the advice I have seen on other forums from you all seems just amazing so I thought I would put the whole first-attempt-at-the-itinerary for this trip here to see what you all think!! THANK YOU!

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where after North Conway?? October 2012

One thing lost in my original: just mentioned that I visited your wonderful country last year. Absolutely loved it and the people.

re: Castle in the Clouds

This is one of my favorite places! Certainly if you are touring near Lake Winnepeasaukee or areas just south of the White Mtns, then this is an easy and logical stop. I will say (having visited 27 of your castles), you may find that the Castle in the Clouds pale in comparison. It's a nice house and estate with lots of acrage, but compared to Glamis, Blair, Crathes, etc...

How old are your kids?

Here is a short list of must sees in the White Mtns. Best to just Googlemap them...

Cathedral Ledge, Diana's Bath (though too cold in Oct, but still a nice easy walk), Echo Lake -- these are all near each other and near N. Conway.

The Flume (including the loop trail over to the Pool), The Basin, The Kanc, Mt. Washington Hotel, either the Cog RR or the Mt Wash Auto Road.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where after North Conway?? October 2012

You are hitting prime time in NC. Much is already booked. Suggest reading the lodging pages here and seeing what is available. Is "we" just 2 people or kids? do you need a hotel room, suite, prefer a b and b?

look to the upper right for top questions. also contact the Mt Wash chamber of commerce, subscribe to their e newsletter and send away for the fancy brochures from ME, NH and RI to help with things to do. Assume you are going to miss some must do's. (or to put it another way-there are not any- life is a compromise)

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where after North Conway?? October 2012

"We would like to go to Bar Harbour and get up early for the sunrise at Mt Cadillac abut don't know which route would be best to get there." - sure seemed to me that you were planning the day around the sunrise- which is worth seeing, just not in conjunction with your trip as originally laid out.

Kevin asked how old the kids are. I don't think that you have mentioned who your fellow travelers may be and I haven't read all your other posts to search for this information but it certainly is relevant to any suggestions.

Fort William...
Level Contributor
178 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where after North Conway?? October 2012

'Its a shame that your so close to one of the greatest Cities in the world, Manhattan, and your not going to see it.'

We've done this already as a family or it would have definately been on our TO DO list!!

'One thing lost in my original: just mentioned that I visited your wonderful country last year. Absolutely loved it and the people.

re: Castle in the Clouds

This is one of my favorite places! Certainly if you are touring near Lake Winnepeasaukee or areas just south of the White Mtns, then this is an easy and logical stop. I will say (having visited 27 of your castles), you may find that the Castle in the Clouds pale in comparison. It's a nice house and estate with lots of acrage, but compared to Glamis, Blair, Crathes, etc...

How old are your kids?

Here is a short list of must sees in the White Mtns. Best to just Googlemap them...

Cathedral Ledge, Diana's Bath (though too cold in Oct, but still a nice easy walk), Echo Lake -- these are all near each other and near N. Conway.

The Flume (including the loop trail over to the Pool), The Basin, The Kanc, Mt. Washington Hotel, either the Cog RR or the Mt Wash Auto Road.'

Thanks again Kevin.... SO glad you had a good time - yeah - I love my Country - very friendly and welcoming people :)

Our kids are 12 and 9 and the things you mention - Castle in the Clouds, Cathedral Ledge and Echo Lake especially are very high up on our TO DO list!!

We are not 'sitting about' people so love to be on the go and get the most out of each vacation we take! Your help is VERY much appreciated.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,579 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Where after North Conway?? October 2012

Pictures I took of Diana's Bath, Cathedral Ledge and Echo Lake.

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Fort William...
Level Contributor
178 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Where after North Conway?? October 2012

They are great thanks - a real taster!! The Golden Gables looks great! Thanks again :)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,704 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Where after North Conway?? October 2012

Given your to do list in the Whites, you need at least 4 days there. JMO

Getting up MT Washington depends entirely on the weather. Stay flexible enough that if you get a good day, you can scrap other plans and go.

18. Re: Where after North Conway?? October 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about North Conway