We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portsmouth and Portland

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Portsmouth and Portland

Leaving Boston on 9//22/17 and going to spend 1 night in Portsmouth then head toward Portland to spend 2 days. Any suggestions for either city would be great. Can we drive a scenic way from Portsmouth to Portland? Want to eat some good seafood while there. Mainly just to see the area since never been in this part of country. I know 4 days is not enough time to really see much but it had to be a short trip and really got a taste for the sea food that we hope to find there. Any advice or help will be appreciated.

7 replies to this topic
Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portsmouth and Portland

There is a coastal route, 1A i believe it is. This will lead you to Nubble Light in York and other places along the way from Portsmouth to Portland. The beach in Ogunquit is nice and there is a dramatic cliff walk, the Marginal Way, from Ogunquit to Perkins Cove.

Route 1A is also a scenic drive heading south along the NH coast. Many beach communities, Seacoast Science Center and old gun embankment at Odiorne Point. Stop at the Beach Plum drove up for a great lobster roll and ice cream. Voted best lobster roll in nh.

For a dock side lobster pound dining experience, check out Chauncey Creek Lobster Pound in Kittery, ME. I believe it is byob. The lobster and other seafood is fresh as it gets.

City wise, the old pay off the city is the attraction in both Portsmouth and Portland. Great shops, cafes, dining, nightlife and more. Consider taking a whale watch trip while you are up here. Also, there are soon nice Islam's you can get to and explore from Portland with ferry service in the old port. Nice way to get out on the bay. The Portland at museum is also excellent with many works by the Wyeths and others.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,744 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portsmouth and Portland

Note that once you get over the Piscataqua River from Portland into Maine, you will need to follow various 'loop' roads to stay near the waterside in Maine. Route 1 itself tends to be very commercial.

From Kittery take route 103, visit the Fort McClary Historic site. then up route 103 to route 1A (take a right!). At Cape Neddick, take Nubble Road to see the famous Nubble Lighthouse (its on a rock island right off the coast). Route 1A then curves back to route 1, but you can take Shore Road to Ogunquit, but eventually you will have to get back on route 1, but then can take route 9 to Kennebunkport. then continue up to Biddeford (route 9 loops around the Saco River, instead of crossing it).. Next is Old Orchard beach, quite tacky and commercial, but can be fun - and busy.

Eventually, you have to go back on route 1, but then can take the route 207/77 loop, and over to another Shore Road into South Portland, and over the Casco Bay bridge into South Portland. With lots of scenic stops and other loops over to lighthouse views, etc, this route will take you all day.

Edited: 08 August 2017, 16:47
Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portsmouth and Portland

Thanks a million. Sounds like the coastal road is the way to drive. I'll certainly be looking for some of the place you mentioned. I've heard a lot about the lobster rolls and can't wait to try one, or several while there. I've read another message from you to someone from England and you are the one with the information. Can't thank you enough.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,744 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portsmouth and Portland

Sorry, my post (#2) should have said 'over the Piscataqua River from PORTSMOUTH into Maine'.

You can get lobster rolls at almost every restaurant in New England, look at the TA restaurant reviews section for suggestions - some are better than others!

Westport...
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portsmouth and Portland

We've been to Portland Me last three summers. If you can, stay at The Press- best hotel there. There is tremendous dining in this town! Eventide is great, as is Fore Street and Central Provisions. Not sure if it's still open, but Urban Farm Fermentary is cool if you are into kombucha and fermented drinks - interesting place. There are many other great food venues- enjoy!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
455 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portsmouth and Portland

Portsmouth New Hampshire is wonderful- I find it is worth it to stay in the downtown historic area so you can walk to dinner with views of the water and bridge, spend some time around Strawbery Banke and as fflbrgst mentioned the trip over to Fort McClary is worth the time! Not much parking but at the Fort but worth the time there!

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portsmouth and Portland

As you can probably tell from fflbrgst there are so many possible places to stop along the way, you could easily spend three days just making the trip, so you might want to be a bit selective.

The cliff walk in Ogunquit is a great idea although the town itself is a bit too commercial for me. Downtown Kennebunk/Kennebunkport is nice, busy but not as touristy IMO. There is a very nice shore drive you can take past Walker's point. Instead of taking Rte 207/77 on your way up, you can take a day trip to Cape Elizabeth and see Portland Headlight, then two lights state park and have fresh seafood at the Lobster Shack, great view too! I would skip Old Orchard, too much like a small-scale Coney Island, but that's me.

I see from the original post you are probably already in Maine. I hope you are having fun and these tips are still useful to you or someone else.

Reply to: Portsmouth and Portland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Portsmouth