We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portsmouth and Maine coast for 50th birthday / 20 year anniv

chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Portsmouth and Maine coast for 50th birthday / 20 year anniv

Coming from the midwest in June for my 50th bday with my husband. Also celebrating an early 20 year anniversary! We love outdoors, antiquing, wineries and the ocean. Staying in Portsmouth for the weekend. Where should we go? What should we do? THANKS!!

:)

3 replies to this topic
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,744 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portsmouth and Maine coast for 50th birthday / 20 year anniv

For a 'weekend'? So you have - full day Saturday and Sunday, or ...?

Head over to the Maine coast, follow the various loop roads to stay near the coast and off very-commercial route 1 as much as possible.

From Kittery take route 103, visit the Fort McClary Historic site. then up route 103 to route 1A (take a right!). At Cape Neddick, take Nubble Road to see the famous Nubble Lighthouse (its on a rock island right off the coast). Route 1A then curves back to route 1, but you can take Shore Road to Ogunquit, but eventually you will have to get back on route 1, but then can take route 9 to Kennebunkport. then continue up to Biddeford (route 9 loops around the Saco River, instead of crossing it).. Next is Old Orchard beach, quite tacky and commercial, but can be fun - and busy.

Eventually, you have to go back on route 1, but then can take the route 207/77 loop, and over to another Shore Road into South Portland, and over the Casco Bay bridge into South Portland. With lots of scenic stops and other loops over to lighthouse views, etc, this route will take you all day.

There are a few wineries in the Portland area, here's a full Maine list:

http://www.mainewineryguild.com/wineries/

New England, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portsmouth and Maine coast for 50th birthday / 20 year anniv

Not sure if you’ll have time to make it too far into Maine but Route 1 has lots of what you are interested in.

Southern Maine and NH will still have have beautiful beaches, and great restaurants. If you have limited time use the turnpike to travel. Route one is very busy in the summer, but it may be enjoyable to see what’s going on.

Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portsmouth and Maine coast for 50th birthday / 20 year anniv

Check out Ft Foster in Kittery,many reviews here. You also have outlet malls in Kittery along with the Kittery trading post. York beach in Maine along with the Nubble lighthouse. My Agamenticus in York has amazing views of the coast and White mountains. Definitely check out Prescott park and Pierce island in Portsmouth. So many outdoor things to do in this area I could go on for a long time lol.

Reply to: Portsmouth and Maine coast for 50th birthday / 20 year anniv
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Portsmouth