We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Boston from Portsmouth

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island
Level Contributor
82 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Boston from Portsmouth

We will be staying in Portsmouth this weekend and would like to go to Boston for a day trip, but didn't want to drive into the City (Heard it was not a good idea, with traffic and all) Where could we park and catch the T to Boston from Portsmouth? Which station? Or, any other suggestions? I guess Amtrak is another possibility, but would prefer taking the T.

Southern New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Boston from Portsmouth

Suggest taking a bus. There is a station right on Rt 95 just outh of the bridge to ME. It looks like there is space there for commuters to park. Might suggest checking Vermont Trailways or calling Portsmouth C of C.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Boston from Portsmouth

We just came back from Portsmouth having taken a day trip to the Boston Museum of Science with my two young kids...While a bus ride down would be fine...we liked the flexibility of taking the MBTA Commuter Rail into Boston....There are several stations North of Boston that are easy to get to on the Rockport Line...we drove down to Salem and hopped on the train there...the relatively small parking lot is usually full with working commuters but there is a parking garage up at the Salem Museum Mall a couple of blocks away from the train stop where parking is available. The train gives you a lot more flexibility with trains running hourly....

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Boston from Portsmouth

There's a few more options for you. Amtrak has the downeaster train stopping now in Exeter, NH. (EXR) at 60 Lincoln St. at Railroad Ave. four times a day it stops here. You could pick up the 9:22 AM, it's only one hour and 8 minutes for $11.00. There's a 2:12, a 4:22 and a 9:30 PM heading in to Boston's North Station. Getting back to Exeter from North Station you could take the 6:09PM, the 7:34 PM or if you're in Boston late there's one more train at 12:01AM. You can't book tickets online unfortunately due to their close departure times. Exeter has a whistle stop type little store right near the train's platform where you can buy your tickets. North Station also has windows with guys selling the tickets.

OR you could take the C&J Trailways bus down from Portsmouth. This bus line is really good, I've taken it a few times in to Logan. You can pick it up right in Portsmouth and it'll bring you right in to Boston via Newburyport's stop first. It can drop you off right at Haymarket Sq. or further up Congress St. to the Bank of America building in downtown Boston. Then it goes further to South Station where their last stop is. Go to their site to see their schedule and fares.

www.cjtrailways.com

You're right, the traffic and parking would be crazy, it's getting worse than ever too with it all. Although if you go in to Boston at 4PM, you'd be going against the traffic, that's what I do a lot of times when I want to meet friends for dinner. Remember this parking lot, it's a "good one"...You can park for $9 all night long and even on weekends at these rates at the Post Office Square Garage.

www.posquare.com

It's very clean, safe & updated with security guards all walking & driving through it. You really can't beat it, if you wanted to get in to Boston at night for a show or the North End for dinner. Also the Boston Common Garage has the same deal, but that garage gives me the creeps, and there's too many stories lately with that one! Stick with the PO Square Garage if you can. Yes, it's a little walk to get up to the Theater District, but the weather is starting to be nicer for walking. The North End is a hop, skip and a jump from this garage. You just walk straight down Congress St. to Faneuil Hall, cut through until you see the Rack nightclub and cross the street to the North End and it's right here. So there's options to get in to Boston. From North Station you can go all over Boston! The "T" Orange Line is right there to bring you up further to Downtown Crossing or the Back Bay.

Good luck and enjoy your trip in to Boston however you get in there!

Long Island
Level Contributor
82 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Boston from Portsmouth

Wow - you all gave such great information. Thanks so much for taking the time for all the details. We're leaving early tomorrow morning and I'm packing all this information along with all my other essentials! Thanks again.

5. Re: Day trip to Boston from Portsmouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 09:19