We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great airfare NOV 4th but NOT so sure a great time to go?

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Great airfare NOV 4th but NOT so sure a great time to go?

Well as luck would have it my hubby and I found a terrific airfare rate on an airline that would take us to Portsmouth for 72.35 RT and that is tax, title, out the door, so to speak for 2 people, direct flight.

The NOT so great deal is to get this rate, the timeframe would be November 4th. We would plan on staying 3 nites and be arriving around 9AM on the 4th and depart on the 7th at 9PM, so we would actually have 4 full days.

Others have told me (who have not been there either, so taking it with a grain of salt) ) that they don't think it would be the best time to visit this area since it will probably be too cold to walk around the town or enjoy it due to the weather being so UNDER the weather...

Or perhaps sightseeing things might be shut down, not to mention rainy.

We would be traveling from the Midwest.

We are soo tempted to still go but again I realize that it won't be spring and it might be as scenic at that time.

The views off of the coastline are a big draw to us, but again given the time of year will we be disappointed?

Hoping to get some good honest feedback....

Thanks a bunch.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great airfare NOV 4th but NOT so sure a great time to go?

Well, it is true that this is a quieter time, but there are still plenty of things to see and do. Strawberry Banke is always open, craft fairs are in full swing, museums are open, I can walk on the beach in any weather and love it. Lobster is sweeter in the cold weather, tax free shopping for Christmas is always available. Go directly to the Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce web site and the state web site www.visitnh.gov. Early Nov temps do not prohibit you from walking, but gloves, a hat and warm coat should be worn. Although with today's weather who knows? I went to Boston right after New Years and it was in the mid 60s.

I would go for the price of that airfare!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Great airfare NOV 4th but NOT so sure a great time to go?

Oh I know the price is sooo good. $36.per per RT. That won't ever happen again. We were hoping to get the middle to 3rd week in October at that rate but it was already sold out. Was really hoping to catch the fall foilage.

So I am hoping by some miracle the whole town won't be completely leafless by Niov 4th but chances are it will be LOL...

We would pan to drive up the coastline up into Maine but stay in Portsmouth.

Do they even do the whale watching tours then or I am in la la land at that time? Are there even whales around at that time?

I know I am probably wishing for allot here.

Southern New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great airfare NOV 4th but NOT so sure a great time to go?

At that pricre just do it. The mountain areas might be sleepy but Portsmouth, NH and Portland, ME will still be active. Great restaurants, interesting museums and wonderful shops will all be open and active. The really good news is that the hotels, inns, etc will all be off season pricing so along with a great airfare the lodging will be super priced too. As a bonus if Christmas shopping NH is sales tax free!!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Great airfare NOV 4th but NOT so sure a great time to go?

I take it no whale watching then?

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great airfare NOV 4th but NOT so sure a great time to go?

No leaves. No whales. But I agree. GO!

November is not the best to time to visit northern New England (VT, NH, ME), but that is because every other month except maybe March (mud season) is so great. And besides, south central Ohio is not exactly the tropics. As for cold, it could go either way in November. As one person said, with the way the weather has been lately, you could have a delightfully warm stretch in the 60s, 70s, or it could be cold and damp. But snow, while not unusual, is not typical in November. A cold overcast day in the 30s may be the worst of it. You wouldn't want to be on a whale watch, though. They go 25 miles out to sea and that is cold and damp in a way that is not fun.

The beaches are great in the off season. No one is there. Even if it is cold, you will enjoy the coastline and all that it has to offer. Check the weather forecast before youo come and bring layers, a good wind break for the top layer, and hat and gloves. Even a day trip to the White Mountains will reward you with no crowds, beautiful views, and the enjoyment of quiet little towns. Or you could head west into the Monadnock and/or Dartmouth/Lake Sunapee regions with rolling hills and smaller mountains and quaint towns with many surprises.

And, both Portsmouth and Portland are wondeful cities with great shops, cafes, restaurants, galleries, museums, shopping, nightlife, etc. For $75 you could stay home. You've already done that. Come to Portsmouth.

If you stay in Portsmouth, consider staying at the Sheraton or Hilton Garden Inn. Downtown is wallkable from both, which will make your stay that much more enjoyable. But there are less expensive places to stay and the area is easy to drive around.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great airfare NOV 4th but NOT so sure a great time to go?

I answered some one here over the weekend frim Ohio and they were going to Portsmouth too; was it you? I forget now. In any case, Sunday evening on the news they showed the great air fare from Ohio to Pease in Portsmouth. All I can say is WOW, if you don't take it you're out of your mind! That's awesome. You go for it and don't worry about early November here. NO sorry, no whale watching cruises then. The goid news is there's SO much to see and do just the same. Plenty of places to stay, tons of restaurants, bistros and cafe's. I think you're going to enjoy it here a lot. YES you can head up to Maine in no time along the coast. It's beautiful in early November. We love when it's quiet on the seacoast, we get the whole place to ourselves after the summer crowds go home! It's the best time to be on the coast browsing, shoping, and checking out all the attractions and such.

So, get on that plane and enjoy New England's seacoast region. WHAT a deal you guys got. Do you think we'll get that type of a deal some day? I think that's GREAT! I hope I can go to Ireland some day like that, wouldn't that be incredible!

Keep us posted and definitely plan it, it's a beautiful time of year with NO crowds!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great airfare NOV 4th but NOT so sure a great time to go?

The weather in NH is everchanging and it is quite possible to have 75F days or a snow storm. Dont let that stop you from visiting! There is plenty to do and see at any time of the year. Bring an extra suitcase -tax free shopping!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Great airfare NOV 4th but NOT so sure a great time to go?

Oh gosh so many encouraging comments!!

Well we took the PLUNGE and booked it! I guess we would have been CRAZY not too.

The rate is out of Columbus and you are right...we won't see that again. I am still blown away by that. Its on that new airlines SkyBus.

Even though its Nov 4th if off season as you say and cheaper all the way around, and lodging should be less expensive.

Hope we don't regret going then. Doubt we will just wish it would be more IN season but for that airfare its hard to beat that.

Now we will be in search of a nice romantic B & B...with a GREAT gourmet breakfast.....

;0)

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great airfare NOV 4th but NOT so sure a great time to go?

Take a look at three chimneys inn in Durham )about 15 minutes from Portsmouth. Plan a sunday brunch at the Acorns @New England center also in Durham.

Or if you want ultimate luxury-Wentworth by the Sea-in Newcastle

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great airfare NOV 4th but NOT so sure a great time to go?

Three Chimneys Inn is a great place. Durham is the home of University of New Hampshire. With football games, parents sweekend and many other events, weekends in Durham can book fairly quickly. Plan accordingly.

There a couple of B&Bs in the old downtown of Portsmouth, too, that would be worth checking out. I don't recall names, but you can probably identify them by going to the state tourism website visitnh.gov, or Google the Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce.

You might as well plan next summer in NH and ME, while you're at it. November will just whet your appetite for summer. You might keep that in mind as you explore the area. Note the places where you will want to return or spend a week.