We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good cheap eats

Sandhills, NC
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
good cheap eats

i will be staying in portsmouth at the sheraton harborside over the weekend of the 18th of jan. I will not have a vehicle so i am looking for recomendations of some great food and maybe some live music within walking distance. i don't mind splurging once or twice but really like tha local kind of place with great eats. thanks for your help

Strafford, NH
Level Contributor
557 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good cheap eats

Loads of places to eat within walking distance of Sheraton. There are so many good restaurants that I can't begin to tell you about them. My favorite is Massimo's (formerly Anthony Alberto's on Penhallow St), it's expensive. We also love Bella Luna, they have this incredible soup called "Lobster Pan Roast" that is out of this world. Again a bit pricey. The Rosa rest. on State Street serves up a great thin crust pizza and good soups.Cafe Mediteraneo has great Italian food. Popovers at Market Square sinfully delicious desserts and good sandwiches. I could go on and on as there are over 100 Restaurants in Portsmouth. As for music I suggest the Press Room on State Street or Muddy River. You will like Portsmouth, bring your boots, we got snow.

Strafford, NH
Level Contributor
557 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good cheap eats

you may want to google Porstmouth NH restaurants to get an idea of the wide range of choices.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good cheap eats

thelbie named a bunch of the finer restaurants, but there are many cafes with cheap and reasonable breakfast and lunch, all as you walk around the old city.

Topsham, Maine
Level Contributor
62 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good cheap eats

Muddy River (eats and great beer selection and live music downstairs) and Portsmouth Brewing Company for pub fare. Like the previous poster, my wife and I are also fans of The Rosa. Great thin crust, most dishes are very good, not too pricey, recommend eating right at the bar.

Sandhills, NC
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: good cheap eats

thanks to all that replied with great information. I look forward to my trip.

Strafford, NH
Level Contributor
557 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good cheap eats

feelinall

Have a wonderful trip. Make sure to let us know what you thought of Portsmouth and the restaurants.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good cheap eats

Bring plenty of warm layers - it's supposed to be quite cold this weekend!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
11 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good cheap eats

I was just wondering how the hotel was. We are planning at trip in April and are undecided between the Sheraton and the Hilton. Thanks.

LJR
Saco, Maine
Level Contributor
347 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: good cheap eats

PJ

We spent this past Sat. night in Portsmouth at the Hilton. What a wonderful hotel! The staff was very friendly,the rooms were clean. Loved the pool and spa. Walking distance to all, which was great because it was COLD!

Have a great stay.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
11 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: good cheap eats

Hi, we are planning a trip in April to Portsmouth and we are undecided between the Sheraton and the Hilton. I was just wondering how your stay at the Sheraton was. Also any recommendations for dining. Thank you.