We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portsmouth in Winter

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
leicestershire
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Portsmouth in Winter

Looking to go to Portsmouth for one night in November. We have two kids aged 16 & 14, so shopping and nice places to visit and eat are on their list !!

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portsmouth in Winter

November is not quite winter, and though you can get some snow, it is more of a shoulder season. You can still get some comfortable cool sunny days, as well as cold grey days.

I don't know if there is a particular reason you are choosing to spend a night in Portsmouth and what you know about the town. The downtown is the old part of the city, with narrow streets and lots of cool shops, galleries, cafes, restaurants and nightlife. I think that you will all enjoy walking around poking in and out of places.

If you have the option and it is in your budget, I would recommend staying at a hotel in downtown Portsmouth, either the Sheraton Portsmouth or the Hilton Garden Inn. The nice thing is that you will not need to deal with driving and parking in what can be a congested area. It is also nice to walk out your door and be right there.

Walkable from downtown is Strawberry Banke, a historic restoration of the colonial city of Portsmouth. It is well done, informative and enjoyable, especially if you enjoy this sort of thing. I know that not everyone does.

If the weather is nice, try and get to the shore for a walk. The NH beaches south of Portsmouth are very nice and easy to reach (I am assuming you will have a car). There are a variety of beaches along Rte 1A all the way down to Hampton. Or, you can cross into Maine and go to the beach in York, as well as to the Nubble Light, which is a very picturesque lighthouse.

Shopping options, aside from the more unique and trendy shops of Portsmouth, include the Fox Run Mall and all the "box stores" (WalMart, Target, Linens And Things, Marshall's, etc.) in Newington, just up the road from Portsmouth in NH. There is also extensive outlet shopping across bridge in Kittery, Maine. These are name brand shops that sell at a good discount. The old idea of an outlet is that you are buying directly from the factory and maybe buying merchandise with slight imperfections, all at a great discount. Now, outlet stores have become so ubiquitous that what you tend to get is overstocked, discontinued, and last year's models, all at a reliable and good discount.

There are a lot of places that have live music at night in Portsmouth, and many of them will permit your kids to be there with you. You can also check the Portsmouth Music Hall to see what performances are scheduled for the night you will be there. They bring in national and international touring performances. You can Google them, check their schedule and purchase tickets online.

Have fun. Portsmouth is a great place.

2. Re: Portsmouth in Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 12:23