We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best restaurant in Portsmouth

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best restaurant in Portsmouth

OK - fooled you. This is really a mini trip report from Portsmouth. My daughter is at UNH so this is my first mini extended stay in the area ( is that a contradition?) Anyway, we are staying at the Anchorage Inn which is a nice little hotel with continental breakfast daily. Clean rooms and helpful staff.

Spent some time walking around Portsmouth and its downtown area has too many nice shops and restaurants to mention. As mentioned elsewhere, the Common Man is opened and there was a line tonight. I could see it from my table at Agave where I had a great carne asada burrito and tortilla soup. Dessert was incredible (fried banana's with vanilla ice cream with some great sauce- way to ruin a perfectly health fruit)

Also walked around the harbor area which was quite nice. Today, I drove every coastal road from Kennebunkport back to Portsmouth. This was like MV on steroids with the huge homes, and very different coast than what i am used to in MA. Wish I had time to stop for some hours in each and plan to do so in the future.

Very beautiful.

The leaves are just starting to turn around here and it is quite cool, although it was a spectacularly sunny day today.

Well worth the visit, especially if you live in the Ma area.

Strawbery Banke Museum
Historic Sites, History Museums
Market Square
Points of Interest & Landmarks
USS Albacore Museum
History Museums, Speciality Museums
Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best restaurant in Portsmouth

Good morning Neslaw1,

Nice job with your trip report! Glad you're enjoying yourself on the seacoast. It was nice to read about the Common Man having a line, they're doing well then. I had to go to Concord this past week to meet a friend, we had lunch at the one over there, it was really good, I was never in one of them, I know they're all over NH, it's good they finally opened one on the seacoast. Still haven't been to this one yet, but it's on the agenda, may be when it dies down a little, if it ever does! Hey, it's Family Weekend at UNH right now isn't it! My niece is there too, it's such a great school. What a beautiful campus, the kids love that school, I can see why!

Have you been to Acorns @ the NE Center for their Brunch on Sunday's on the campus yet? It's SO worth it. If you haven't been yet, GO there, it's terrific. You need reservations for it, GET them some day while your daughter is at school there. It's really quite a place for dinner too, so remember that. They have the prix fixe menu till the end of 2009 for under $20 pp, not a bad deal. It's got such a beautiful atmosphere there too with the huge fieldstone fireplace, the huge windows looking out at the surrounding woods. No matter what time of year you go there you'll enjoy it. If we think of it we usually try to go there when the students are on vacation right after their two breaks in the winter/spring months, it's not as crowded. Especially when it snows! It's beautiful looking out at those trees covered with the white powder in that stunning room!

There's some beautiful roads along the seacoast for foliage viewing and long drives. I bet you saw some of it from Kennebunk down! A lot of people will head up I-93 for it and west when it's all over the coastal side roads. You know we should all download pictures this year to show the brilliant colors of it all. It's going to be spectacular this year**(hopefully)!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best restaurant in Portsmouth

Nomo

Thanks for the info about Acorns. I had not heard about it and will check it out when we are back in a few weeks.

Another aspect of ME that is different from MA (esp the Cape area) is that the maple and other leafy trees go right up to the ocean area while the southern NE coast is more scrub brushy.

People are always asking about where the great trees are. This morning we had brunch with friends in Atkinson, NH which is a rural little town and every street will be awash in color very soon.

Looking forward to getting back soon.

Almost forgot had dinner at Warren's Lobster house in Kittery. Nice lobster roll's and great salad bar. Instead of dessert, had some of their homemade pumpkin bread.

3. Re: What is the best restaurant in Portsmouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2010, 05:19