We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wentworth by the Sea or Hotel in Portsmouth

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wentworth by the Sea or Hotel in Portsmouth

We are thinking of visiting and are not sure if staying at the Wentworth will be convienent enough? We would like to shop, sight see and eat out. If it rains, I am hoping to stay in a nice hotel that would be comfortable and pleasant, and don't mind driving or taking a taxi. Will there be enough to do for 4 days? Also, are there any flea markets in the general area?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wentworth by the Sea or Hotel in Portsmouth

Wentworth by the Sea is wonderful in all respects and is no more than a 10-minute drive from downtown Portsmouth. If it fits in your budget, my advice would be to stay there.

As to whether there's enough to do for four days, it depends on what you need to be entertained. Portsmouth is a very small city, but it's unusually well supplied with history, architecture, restaurants, and shops, a great place to walk around at your leisure. It's also within easy striking distance of many other attractive destinations, such as Cape Ann, MA, and Portland, ME. The town of New Castle, where the Wentworth is located, is a small jewel of a colonial settlement.

I can't comment on flea markets, but I'm sure there must be some.

Wakefield, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wentworth by the Sea or Hotel in Portsmouth

Ditto the message from wpsaukee. The Wentworth is about as luxe as it gets in these here parts! Some of the flea markets tend to be more of a summer thing, but you would surely have fun poking around on "Antique Alley", which is a several mile strip of individual and group antique shops located on Rt. 4 in Northwood, NH. It's a straight shot west from Portsmouth and would be about a1/2 hr. drive

The coastal drive in NH near the Wenyworthon Rt 1A goes right along the ocean and passes many large beautiful homes. Odiorne State Park is close to the Wentworth and has a well done Science Center on the marine ecology and history of the area. There are also walking trails, playground, and good views of harbor and Isles of Shoals.

Edited: 28 October 2010, 23:28
NYC
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wentworth by the Sea or Hotel in Portsmouth

Wentworth it is!

Torrington, CT
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wentworth by the Sea or Hotel in Portsmouth

We go to the Wentworth every Fall, mostly in November. The facilities are top notch..the covered outdoor jacuzzi on the back porch is wonderful in the cold weather, especially if it is snowing. We love to eat in the Bar and hang out having drinks watching sports...by the fireplace..just a wonderful relaxing place to be. A great steak house- The Library in Portsmouth.. tables are arranged amongst book shelves and your final tab is delivered in a library book. Hope you get to go... it is worth every penny spent.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wentworth by the Sea or Hotel in Portsmouth

Some one very close to my heart just stayed at the Wentworth By The Sea a few weekends ago and absolutely loved it there. I hope you fill us in with a short trip report, hopefully you find it to be just as wonderful, yet I have a feeling you're going to really and truly enjoy your stay there. It's really funny this friend of ours was looking & looking AND looking for something that was wrong or just not right and she just couldn't find it any where, any how! So that shows you how awesome this place is, it's positively exquisite.

There's also a brunch there on Sunday AM's, that is worth every cent you pay for it. It's $40 pp, not bad. You're going to enjoy staying there a LOT.

Here's info on their Sunday Brunch, just in case...

www.wentworth.com/dining/sunday-brunch.aspx

Have a wonderful time, try to fill us in on TA about it all, we love to hear back!

6. Re: Wentworth by the Sea or Hotel in Portsmouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2011, 05:16