We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venue for 1st Birthday Party

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Venue for 1st Birthday Party

Hi,

My baby boy is turning 1. We are from Portsmouth, NH. We really want to make this day special for our kid. We are hoping to find an place in or around the NH area which could be a good venue for this occasion. Our guest list is around 75-100.

Thanks.

Regards

Ali.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venue for 1st Birthday Party

It all depends on what the older guests would find entertaining, since none of it will matter to your son. Happy birthday to him.

Milton, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venue for 1st Birthday Party

There are many options in the Portsmouth area. Here a few ideas:

Joker's in Portsmouth

Chuck E Cheese in Newington

The Children's Museum in Dover

Seacoast Science Center

Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth

McDonald's

Burger King

Papa Gino's

Taco Bell

In the summer time there is also the York's Wild Kingdom in York, Me.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venue for 1st Birthday Party

I say go for the Mt wash hotel. Large lobby to run around for the kid. Doesn't get any more special than that.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venue for 1st Birthday Party

Maybe just me, but I don't think any hotel would appreciate little ones running around the lobby especially if there are other guests. Why would you suggest that neslaw?

As to the original question, are you looking for a particular type of food? Are you thinking of lunch or a dinner party? When is his birthday? A group that large will most likely require that you rent a banquet room or small hall. You could talk with some caterers in the area, they often work with groups that own halls that can be rented. They could do the meal and the cake. The Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce may have members that can help.

Good luck with planning, first birthdays are family milestones!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venue for 1st Birthday Party

NEW

As WPS said, it won't matter to the kid and I did not think that the OP was looking for places like jeep suggested. It seems that the OP is looking for a fancy, special place. MWH certainly fits that. All we have is that OP wants a place/venue. No mention of restaurant, hotel, or any other limitation including where in the state. In the Mass forum, it looks like OP wants something Indian. It all seems a bit silly if the goal is to make it special for the child ( as opposed to the parents, family, friends) but that's not my call. If this is what the parent's want to do, then they should go for it.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venue for 1st Birthday Party

Can you give us a bit more info? What time of year are you talking about? Are there going to be other children in attendance? What ages? How do you plan to entertain 75 to 100 people for this party? Are you looking for some place close to Portsmouth, or are you expecting that a large number of folks will also need lodging? Are you looking for luxury? rustic? and entertaining venue? An outdoorsy thing?

To explore a range of venues, visit the NH Tourism site www.visitnh.gov. CLick on "Planning and Travel Tools", and then on "Reunions." There are quite a few hotels throughout the state with banquet facilities to accommodate you. Yoou might look into renting out the Seacoast Science Center for a private party. Likewise the Montshire Museum, also a hands on science museum, in Norwich, VT across from Hanover. In these and other facilities that may not have their own in-house catering, there are all kinds of excellent local caterers throughout the state. I am sure we or the facility could help you with this.

You might also look into summer camps that might be available for rent in the off season. A couple that I know of close to me are Camp Chenoa, a Girl Scout Camp in Antrim. We rented the dining hall for my 60th birthday party, but they will even rent out the entire camp. Also Windsor Mountain Camp International, in Windsor, NH (near Hillsboro). These and others will have dining and commercial kitchen facilities. They may be able to assist with or help you find a caterer. They also have rustic cabins, if they are willing to have them used and if your guersts are into that sort of camping experience. Plenty of nearby B&Bs, inns and hotels, throughout the state, if needed.

I will echo others. This is not going to be a memorable event or even a meaningful one, for your 1 year old. It is a special day for you, perhaps. I am sure it will be a fun party for everyone. Be realistic about the needs of the guests, especially the kids.

7. Re: Venue for 1st Birthday Party

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2013, 10:45