We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with kids to Portsmouth

New Hartford, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with kids to Portsmouth

HI! A hockey tournament we are traveling to got moved from Falmouth, ME to NH. We will be staying in Portsmouth over the 4th of July weekend. I had researched the area in Maine a ton but now I need to start over with not a lot of time! :) I am traveling with 3 children (5,7,9 years) and we are looking for things to do in between games and for meals. Can anyone suggest some family friendly options? We like outdoors, beaches, and history but are open to anything "must do" with kids! Thank you for your time!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with kids to Portsmouth

Strawberry Banke and Prescott Park are right in Portsmouth. You are close to the NH shore as well as the southern ME beaches. http://www.seacoastonline.com/

Just about everyplace is fam friendly for food. Common Man, Portsmouth Brewery are couple of our favorites.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with kids to Portsmouth

In Portsmouth, try The Friendly Toast for breakfast or lunch. The kids will love the quirky decor, and you will too. The food is great.

Rte 1A runs along the NH coast and there are many nice state beaches as well as public beaches. Wallis Sands is one of beaches I tend to find myself at often. Changing houses, food stand, etc. Nice beach with a wide shallow area. Hampton Beach, on the southern end of 1A has the boardwalk attractions, arcades, and plenty of places to leave your cash in NH :-) Also a band shell with nightly and I think daily concerts for free. That is also one of the places where the fireworks will be. It is definitely more crowded, but that should not deter you.

Also along the coast, just about where 1A reaches the shore from Portsmouth, is Odiorne State Park, with the Seacoast Science Center. The kids will love it. Great hands on touch tanks. The do kid oriented educational walks among the rocks, turning them over to find crabs, fish and whatever hides there. Great place to just go walking out among the rocks and the water. Also, the location, now a park with bike and walking paths is a former WWII shore battery with the embankments still in place. The kids will love climbing on them.

Prescott Park is a great place. They have all kinds of performances and theater there including kid shows. Check out the schedule.

Walk around downtown Portsmouth. That is wehre Friendly Toast is, and a ton of other restaurants. Most are kid friendly. You'll choose based on the menu that works for them, no doubt. The kids will enjoy going into Macro Polo (not a misspelling). Consumate chachka shop. Lots of good ice cream all over the place. THis is New England. We love our ice cream.

Back along 1A is a drive up food and ice cream place called Beach Plum. Great ice cream. But also one of the best Lobster Rolls you will find in NH.

3. Re: Traveling with kids to Portsmouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 05:16