We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

relaxing vacation for hard workers

Rhode Island
7 posts
Save Topic
relaxing vacation for hard workers

Hi all,

My husband an I are spending a week in twin Mountain and would like any information on places and ways to stay relaxed.. We want to see the mountain views and find local restaurants, steaks, lobsters,ect. to spend leisure time and relax.. We already have a great place to stay.. any info would be appreciated!... We have spent time in the white mountains but twin mountain is new to us...

Thanks!

scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: relaxing vacation for hard workers

If you don't mind a little drive, check out Polly's Pancake Parlor for breakfast. You'll find more info on this site - great reviews!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: relaxing vacation for hard workers

"If you don't mind a little drive, check out Polly's Pancake Parlor for breakfast. You'll find more info on this site - great reviews!"

Avoid if you do not want to wait 40 minutes to be seated and another 40 minutes to get your food. I tried the place 3 times, each time it was long wait, extremely noisy and their food while fair, definitely is not worth all the fuss. I am never going there again, it is way overhyped.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: relaxing vacation for hard workers

I thought Polly's was fun. I've gone out of my way to eat there several times.

When you go inside to give the hostess your name, she gives you a pager that will buzz when your table is ready. Take your pager back to the car and enjoy a good book or the morning paper while you wait.

scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: relaxing vacation for hard workers

Oh boy, I'm glad Michelle came to poor Polly's defense. It is crowded, but fun.

Other things to see:

You might consider driving "the loop". From Twin Mountain, south on 302 through Crawford Notch. To Rte 16 in Glen, through North Conway, south on 16 to Rte 112-The Kancamaus Highway. West on the Kanc to Lincoln, then north through Franconia Notch, and back to Twin Mountain.

You can also cut it a little shorter by heading south on Bear Notch Road in Bartlett, NH. This would cut out North Conway (with its outlet shopping, and great village center) and bring you out about halfway through the Kanc.

Along the way, The Red Parka Pub in Glen, NH is a very popular hangout. Great food, fun atmosphere, lots of ski memorobilia on the walls. Steaks, prime rib, chops, salad bar, and buffalo wings so hot they make your lips tingle.

In North Conway there's Horsefeathers, right in the village. Great location if you want to do a little shopping. There's a genuine Five & Dime, also Zeb's Country store- all products are made in New England. Right in the center of the vilage (the outlet stores are further down the road).

In Lincoln, the Common Man is great. Outstanding food. Another favorite for Italian is Govonni's. Just past North Woodstock on Rte 112, the restaurant sits on top on a beautifully scenic cascade - and the food is wonderful.

To see:

Crawford Notch, visit the AMC Lodge here for info on hikes, etc.

You might check out the Mt. Washington Cog railway. Very interesting train ride to the summit. Be prepared for any kind of weather-it will be cold and windy at the least. It's kind of pricey, but a great experience.

You can also check out the Mt. Washington Hotel. Even if you're not a guest you can take a stroll around the fabulous veranda.

Arethusa Falls is outstanding and about a 1 hour hike.

Any stop along the Kancamagus is worthwhile. I like Sabbaday Falls, plus a number of scenic outlooks.

In Franconia Notch the Flume is very interesting. I don't know if it's still open. Even if it's not, you can still walk the trails.

Also the Basin & Cascades across the road is worthwhile.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: relaxing vacation for hard workers

nobody has mentioned the elephant rock at crawford notch - am I the only one that knows about this.

Get answers to your questions about Twin Mountain