We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weirs beach with 1 year old?

vt
3 posts
Save Topic
weirs beach with 1 year old?

My husband and I are looking for an exciting, yet close, place to go for a little Summer trip with our 1 year old daughter. We live in northeast VT. We think Weirs Beach would be a good place to go? What are the cheapest places to stay including campgrounds?

Some people say it is old fashioned, how old fashioned is it?

Thing's we could do:

Go on a cruise, a train ride, swim at the beach, visit the shops all around, go to the arcade, watch the fireworks, and watch the boats.

Anything else we could do at weirs beach?

Any other places then Weirs Beach to go on a little Summer trip?

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weirs beach with 1 year old?

I love Weirs Beach! I will be there a week from today and can't wait. I think it is a great place for kids. There is also miniature golf and a waterslide at Weirs Beach. A great place to go is Kellerhaus. They have homemade ice cream and a make your own sundae bar. This is very close to Weirs Beach (less than a 5 minute drive). You could also go to the drive in theater one night. Funspot is another arcade place that has bowling and I think miniature golf. That is probably a 5 minute drive, if that, from Weirs Beach. If you like bingo, Funspot has bingo 7 nights a week.

The beach area would be great for your daughter. You can walk out pretty far and it does not get deep. I see a lot of children at the beach area.

They do not have fireworks every Friday now. You can find the schedule here:

http://www.weirsbeach.com/fireworks.html

We always stay at the Cozy Inn & Cottages, which is about 3/8 of a mile from the beach area. We rent a cabin that has a full kitchen so that we can cook in and save money. They also have rooms you can rent in the main house. We love cottage 6. The bathroom is small, but it has a homey feel. Half Moon motel and cottages are a little closer to the beach area, and right near Cozy Inn & Cottages. We stayed there one weekend a few years ago. It was ok. It happened to cost less at that time than Cozy Inn, so that is why we stayed there. If you look at weirsbeach.com, you can see all the places to stay that are nearby.

Here are a couple of links to get discounted gift certificates for restaurants and attractions in New Hampshire:

dollarsavershow.com/Default.aspx…

http://www.goodeatsnh.com/index.html

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weirs beach with 1 year old?

I just reread your post. Another great summer place to go would be the white mountains. Your daughter would love some of the attractions there. You could bring her to Storyland, Santa's Village, Clark's Trading Post, Whale's Tale, and I am sure there are more attractions for children there. The only place I have stayed at the white mountains is Indianhead Resort in a cabin.

vt
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: weirs beach with 1 year old?

Thank you so much for your reply. It is very helpful. I will check out the links that you provided. Do you think my daughter would be too young for the water slide?

I would be planning to go there sometime between August 10th and 14th, and stay for a couple of nights.

Have you been on the cruise or train ride; if so, how was it?

Again, thank you!

new hampshire
Level Contributor
101 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weirs beach with 1 year old?

yes your little pumpkin is too little for the water slide....

At one she will not remember ANYTHING! Go to the Lake for YOU!!!

A cruise on the Mount or the Sophie C are great - the Sophie C is smaller so it stops at the islands and is fun while the Mount has more room to roam the decks

The train is fun too - our kids liked it when they were older

The shops in Meredith are much nicer than the Weirs and you can eat at Giuseppes - great family restaurant with yummy treats for parents in the Mill Falls Marketplace

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weirs beach with 1 year old?

I go on the train ride every year. Leo, who works on the train, is very entertaining. I have only been on the M/S Mount Washington once and enjoyed it. This year I want to go on Sophie C. That is the boat that delivers mail to the island residents.

If you are there for the night of the 14th, there will be fireworks. I missed them last year because they were cancelled.

If you like turkey, you should go to Hart's Turkey Farm. It is not too far from Weirs Beach. It is my favorite restaurant. I bought 2 of the half price gift certificates for there. They have a great carrot relish that is put on the table with crackers. You can also buy it in the gift store.

We will be at Weirs Beach the same time you are! You will have to post back how you liked it.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weirs beach with 1 year old?

nhsox is absolutely correct about making the vacation for you.

Another option (since you asked) would be the Lake George area. Looked like alot of fun on the recent Today show segment.

vt
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: weirs beach with 1 year old?

We went to Weirs Beach last week and we had so much fun. We went on the Mt. Washington cruise and the Doris E. cruise. We also went on the train, and went to the beach. We went to the restaurant on the pier one night and then to the Smoke Shack another night. Both had great food. We walked around a lot just taking in all the action and stayed pretty busy. We stayed at the Lake Winnipesaukee Motel.

I was surprised at how many other hotels were around that were not online.

Next time I plan a trip I know to plan on staying more then two nights. It seems we just figured out where everything was and found stuff to do on the last day.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

8. Re: weirs beach with 1 year old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Weirs Beach