We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lakes Region in early Sept - warm enough to swim?

Which Weirs Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia, USA
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lakes Region in early Sept - warm enough to swim?

My husband and I and our 5 yo daughter are considering a trip to NH in the first 2 weeks of Sept (8/31 to about 9/10, give or take, so spanning before and after Labor Day).

We'd like to center the trip (maybe 5 days) around renting a cabin in the Lakes region, so my daughter can swim and we can actually relax. But will the water (and outside temp) remain warm enough for swimming? Are particular areas of the lake (maybe inner bays) warmer, and if so which towns should we focus on? Also, does the region totally shut down after Labor Day, such that we'll have trouble finding things to do to entertain ourselves? What lake towns will afford fun to a 5 yo without being ticky tacky (is Weirs Beach super tacky? I tend to like quaint, off the beaten path locations but also don't want a bored, complaining kid on our hands - we want her to have fun too!) Any specific kid friendly suggestions for a 5 year old in/around the Lakes?

Other kid friendly suggestions in area in proximity that we could combine in our trip welcome - I think we'll also spend 2-3 days in the White Mountains (very light hiking) and or a couple days in Jackson, N. Conway and maybe a side trip to Storyland.

3 replies to this topic
Meredith, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lakes Region in early Sept - warm enough to swim?

Right now the lake is about 72 degrees, so it may well be warm enough for you. No the area definitely does not shut down till after Columbus Day

.A 5 year old would love Squam Lakes Natural Science Center in Holderness with a lovely woodland path past captive foxes, bobcats, mountain lions, otters, bears, etc. and lots of kid friendly activities. If it rains, try Funspot in Weirs Beach, the world's largest arcade with many kiddie games. There are a number of mini golf courses.

You can rent a 2 man kayak in Meredith or cruise the lake on the Mount Washington.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lakes Region in early Sept - warm enough to swim?

And, yes, Weirs Beach is tacky. But it is easy to get there to go to Fun Spot. Also, you can take a ride on the MV Mt Washington. Depending on where on the lake you stay, you can even take the boat, say, from Alton Bay to Weirs Beach, get off and enjoy Fun Spot and other stuff, get back on the next boat and continue the reat of the way around the lake to Alton Bay (At least I think that is how some of the trips work).

There is also mini-golf in several places. SHould be places to rent kayaks, maybe on smaller lakes, but even on the big lake. Krista McAuliffe Planetarium in Concord is an easy enough drive from anywhere on the lake. Kid friendly and state of the art. Movie theaters in Laconia, Franklin, Concord, maybe elsewhere, too. Chunky's, in Franklin, has cafe seating and serves food. A fun difference.

A lot of the elementary schools in the surrounding towns will have nice playgrounds, but school will be in session, so you may have to choose your times with that in mind.

Restaurants in NH are casual and family friendly, except for maybe some higher end places. But if your kiddo is experienced with restaurant behavior, you should have no trouble just about anywhere.

Checek the NH Tourism website for Fairs. I don't remember which ones are when, but there should be a fair almost every weekend through September and into October. I think Labor day weekend is the Hopkinton Fair, the NH State Fair. I think the Deerfield fair is two weekends after that, but am not sure. That is my personal favorite. But there are otehrs. Usually open on a Weds or Thursday through Sunday.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lakes Region in early Sept - warm enough to swim?

I'm pretty sure the water is currently several degrees warmer than 72. I haven't measured the temperature, but I swim in it regularly, and I think I have a decent idea. I'm on a completely open, unsheltered shoreline in the northern part of the lake (southern shore of Moultonborough Neck).

Trailergypsy, is that your own temperature reading? Where did you get it?

Reply to: Lakes Region in early Sept - warm enough to swim?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Weirs Beach