We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Winnipesaukee vacation

Sharon...
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Winnipesaukee vacation

HI,

We are planning a three day trip to the Lake Winnipesaukee area next weekend- with three teens - 19, 16, & 12. Would love advice on where to stay and things to do. I vacationed in the White Mountains as a child and loved it but my husband is a little hesitant about the location.

thanks!

C

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Winnipesaukee vacation

I am not sure why there aren't more questions about the Lake Winni area as it is an incredibly popular area for a lot of folks. My "expertise" is more towards the NC/ Jackson area and I will give you a link for many activities there but there is also much to do right at the lake with swimming and boating.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19621-Circling…

Not sure what the hubby's hesitancy is but my teenagers love when we visit NH. If you like hiking, Mt Chocorua is not to far and is known for its open summit giving great WM views.

I am not the one for lodging recs but it you give some more info, motel, hotel,cabin, amenities, etc, then someone here will have some suggestions.

Sharon...
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Winnipesaukee vacation

thanks! In terms of places to stay - ideally we would like a cabin or cottage. We are longtime tent campers, but the home front is divided on camping for this trip, so we thought a cabin would be a good compromise.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Winnipesaukee vacation

For the last 3 years we have stayed at Cozy Inn & Cottages at Weirs Beach. We always rent cottage 6 but I think some other cottages may be bigger. I think this is a great area for kids and teenagers. It is just a little over 1/4 mile to the beach area. There is the M/S Mount Washington boat ride, a train ride, arcades, and this area has a little boardwalk with pizza, ice cream, and stores.

Another place you can get advice is the Winnipesaukee forums:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/

This is taken off a post there of things to do:

Great Waters Music Festival .

Order Season Tickets and you could save up to 20%.

The Boat Museum for a visit or a boat tour. You could build a boat!

The Libby Museum is worth a visit.

Go on an adventure with Outdoor Escapes New Hampshire.

Visit the historic Belknap Mill.

Funspot hosts many events throughout the summer. Including bingo! Bowling and mini golf too!

Gunstock offers many fun things to do – Shave your hair for charity, fishing derbies, Lakeside Living Expo, Mud Hog Trail Race and Timberfest. They offer horse back riding too!

Heritage Farm has fun family events. A pancake house too!

Heifetz International Music Institute

Take a cruise on the M/S Mount Washington or the M/V Sophie C or M/V Doris E.

Castle in the Clouds where you can take a walk, attend an antique or car show, catch some jazz and join a Pow Wow!

Lake Winnipesaukee Sailing Association can teach you how to sail.

They also race on Thursday evening throughout the summer.

Take a trip to The Loon Center

They are raffling off a motorcycle!

Meadowbrook has many concerts and events to choose from.

New England Chapter Antique & Classic Boat Society has many shows and events during the summer season.

Many surrounding towns have weekly concerts.

(See the calendar, they will be added as I find them.)

There are many craft fairs around the lake during the season.

Check the calendar for details.

Enjoy the Summer Classic Season with New Hampshire Music Festival.

Squam Lakes Natural Science Center offers lake cruises and other fun stuff.

Like cars? Go to a car show at Pure Adrenaline Motorsports.

Remick Country Doctor Museum & Farm for good old fashioned fun.

See a show at The Winni Playhouse, Streetcar Company, The Summer Theater in Meredith Village or with The Village Players.

Have tea and take a stroll through the garden at The Topiary at Owls Rest Farm.

English Cream Tea at Tarbin Gardens, with ponds, tropical house and animals.

Learn to dive with United Divers of NH, Dive Winnipesaukee or Fathom Divers.

Take a hike!

Poke through Burlwood Antique Center in Meredith.

Enjoy a stroll through Red Cranberries in Alton. (You can pick up matted and framed copies of McDude's postcards here!)

Play golf!

Weirs Beach Water Slide

Take a train ride with the Hobo Railroad..

Rent something fun at Parafunalia!

Take a trip back in time and honor our heroes at The Wright Museum.

Stop in for goodies at The Yum Yum Shop.

The Old Country Store and Museum.

Yikes Gallery in Center Harbor

Blacks in Wolfboruough

Visit Weirs Beach!

Play in the arcade.

Take a free guided tour at Hampshire Pewter in Wolfeboro.

Stop in for candy or ice cream at the Kellerhaus.

Don’t have a boat? Take a private cruise with Latitude 43° Private Cruises on Lake Winnipesaukee or The Smile of the Great Spirts. Take a private cruise and get married or renew your vows with JP Boating! (Our very own Coastal Laker)

Logs of Fun at the Weirs for mini golf, climbing wall and gemstone mining sluice.

Try the bumper boats or go-karts at Daytona Fun Park!

Mill Falls in Meredith.

Take and antique boat ride or a trolley tour in Wolfeboro.

Visit the Annalee Doll Museum.

Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society

Rent a kayak at River Run Kayak Rentals

Rent a boat or Jet Ski with Lake Side Boat Rentals.

Visit The Christmas Loft to pick out an ornament to remember your Lake Winnipesaukee trip by.

Shopping at Tanger Outlets in Tilton.

Ruggles Mine for the geologist in you. (Bring safety glasses and a hammer!

new hampshire
Level Contributor
101 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Winnipesaukee vacation

I agree with the last post - The Cozy Inn is a great place to stay - If your more into camping call Gunstock - they have cabins you can rent as well as tent sites

That weekend is the Timberman Triathalon which is a huge event at Ellacoya State Beach and Gunstock so it will be crowed and may affect your plans

Weirs Beach has more attractions as listed by the previous post to entertain your teens

Meadowbrook Musical Arts Center has an excellent concert line up next weekend - Fri - Skynrd & Joan Jett, Sat - Moody Blues, Sun - Judas Priest and Mon - Allman Bros Check out their website for up to date info - its the best place to see a concert - no bad seats - everyone has fun there

Have fun planning and welcome to the Lakes Region!

NY
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Winnipesaukee vacation

Stay away from Tarbin Gardens in Franklin, NH. It is a beautiful spot, if only they had continued with the upkeep of the gardens. Most are all grown over and a mess. Pictures on their website look great, but those pictures must be a few years old. $8.50pp is a rip-off!

6. Re: Lake Winnipesaukee vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Wolfeboro