We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motel on Mainland?

Jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Motel on Mainland?

Anyone know of a reasonable motel on the mainland outside of LBI? Traditionally we have stayed one night at the Quarter Deck (on Friday night - to avoid the insane Parkway on Saturday morning) before checking into beach house on Saturday afternoon. But last year it was just TOO icky!

Someone suggested that a motel this side of the bridge would be much cheaper & accomplish the same goal. I have looked in Manahawkin, Barnegat & Staffordville - nothing. Hard to belive. Any suggestions?

NJ (of course!)
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Motel on Mainland?

Holiday Inn is under construction at Rts. 9 & 72 in Manahawkin but won't open until late year 2005.

Jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motel on Mainland?

Thanks, we'll keep it in mind for next year. I can't believe there's nothing else down there until you get on the island. Which of course, gives carte blanche to motels to ask whatever thry can get $.

NJ (of course!)
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Motel on Mainland?

Actually I read today in the Philadelphia Inquirer that the Holiday Inn is set to open in September.

Jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motel on Mainland?

Yep, I tried contacting them & that's what they told me. I guess we're stuck with the old standby-getting up at 4:00 AM to beat the Parkway traffic. Argh!

rwa
Long Beach Island...
Level Contributor
79 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motel on Mainland?

gtbug,

There's the Barnegat Motel, not that I'm recommending it because it may be as "icky" as the QD was to you, perhaps even more so, but I believe it still exists at 115 USHwy 9 (Main St.) in Barnegat - phone (609) 698-3531.

You might try the Surf City Hotel (opening May 5) at 8th St. and the Boulevard in Surf City - phone (609) 494-7281. New owner, and the rooms were just renovated nicely two years ago, and I've heard positive comments about those rooms.

The bar and restaurant, although nicely renovated after Crane sold it, have not been doing as well ... the menu and food especially I do not recommend anymore, after repeatedly returning "one more time" ... the servers' formerly good attitudes have changed, and the certain intangible fun atmosphere in the Cypress Room which lasted from 1976 - 2000 has faded.

Yes, we look forward to the Manahawkin Holiday Inn in September. But, geez, it's the mainland for cryin' out loud.

NJ (of course!)
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Motel on Mainland?

gtbug, there is the Drifting Sands in Ship Bottom. They just razed and replaced a whole wing last year and have balconies that face the ocean. They are completely rehabbing the section that is directly on the ocean. Looked like very nice rooms! Ask for the brand new wing.

Jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Motel on Mainland?

Thanks for the suggestions - I do have a call in to the Barnegat up on rt 9 - waiting to see how much $. Any farther out than that & it may not be worth the stay. We only travel aboutthree hours in light traffic - but you know how Saturday mornings on Parkway south get!!!

The other suggestions sound nice, too - but we're not really looking for anything but a bed. I'm not looking to pay extra for a pool or beach since we are only there long enough to catch some Z's & get out of there in time for breakfast at Ott's.

Then perhaps a stop at Ron-Jon's (my teenagers can't stay away from that place - it is pretty cool) and then perhaps purchase badges before checking into our rental up in Barnegate Light.

So far I see that two of the least expensive 'no-frills' motels (besides the icky QD) are the Mariner & Sea Spray. Any other 'economy' lodgings on the island?

NJ (of course!)
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Motel on Mainland?

The Long Beach Inn across from the Acme.

Jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motel on Mainland?

Thanks, Dewd!

NJ (of course!)
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Motel on Mainland?

Friends of mine stayed at the Drifting Sands in Ship Bottom for 2 nights in early August and LOVED it.