We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biting Flies and Mosquitos in Beach Haven?

massachusetts
4 posts
Save Topic
Biting Flies and Mosquitos in Beach Haven?

We are staying at the Engleside Inn and Beach Haven at the end of July and have heard that there is a problem with biting flies and mosquitos on LBI. Does anyone know if this problem exists in and around the Engleside Inn area? Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biting Flies and Mosquitos in Beach Haven?

Any Area of the Jersey shore can have mosquitos or green head flies depending on the prevailing winds. Most locals will tell you that a west wind (off the mainland) will bring more greenheads, but that is true of many communities and is not something one can predict. That said, the only area of LBI that I hear that about on a more regular basis is Holgate because there is a nature preserve there with more breeding grounds. Friends who stay there regularly claim it is greatly exaggerated. I live slightly south of the Engleside and have not had a single day that I wasn't outside for large portions of the day this summer without any difficulty! Enjoy your stay!

massachusetts
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Biting Flies and Mosquitos in Beach Haven?

Thank you very much! Your reply was most helpful. My 3 year old gets quite a reaction to mosquito bites so that was why I was worried. I will just come armed with extra bug spray and hopefully won't need it based upon your post. :)

new jersey
Level Contributor
133 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biting Flies and Mosquitos in Beach Haven?

Just to re-iterate on what yankeemom shared... we live in Beach Haven (a little north of the Engleside) and were just commenting yesterday that the flies/mosquitos have not been that evident this year. Have a wonderful time in the Queen City!

4. Re: Biting Flies and Mosquitos in Beach Haven?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2010, 05:16