We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good restaurants in Beach Haven (no driving)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Good restaurants in Beach Haven (no driving)

I'll be visiting at the end of august and I'm interested in places to eat lunch and/or dinner. We like any cuisine as long as it's good food..

Thank you.

MaLu

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
31 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good restaurants in Beach Haven (no driving)

There are many good places to eat in beach haven. Panzones pizza, Slice of Heaven pizza and Bay Village Pizza and Barry's do me a flavor aregreat for lunch or dinner. The black whale, the boat house( on the bay), buckalews are pricey places for dinner but have good food. Find Holiday snack bar. It looks like a dive but has burgers, grill cheese, hot dogs and big desserts. It is a cheap meal and has been around for decades. It's small and it's the norm to wait for a seat. Waiting time isn't long because of the simple foods.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good restaurants in Beach Haven (no driving)

Most of the commercial section of town is within a few blocks of each other. That said, many people rent bikes and also use them the travel throughout town, and Beach Haven has well marked bike lanes (one going north, another going south) that parallel the length of the island.

In addition to the suggestions above, I would recommend Uncle Wills or the Chicken or the EGG for breakfast. Chicken or the Egg also serves other meals and are famous for their chicken wings. Another local favorite is the Pearl St Market for upscale sandwiches, breakfast, coffee etc. It has outdoor seating and is located a few blocks south of the commercial district on Pearl and south Bay Ave (great quick bike or walk, depending on where you are staying).

For a nicer dinner or great sushi, The Engleside Hotel has all around good traditional American fare.

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
8 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good restaurants in Beach Haven (no driving)

Ditto vikster1's comments about Holiday snack bar. It's one of those places you will always want to return to whenever your on the island. I know we always do!

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good restaurants in Beach Haven (no driving)

Just rembered Harvey Cedars Clam Bar (but in Beach Haven) a local favorite old fashioned raw bar, chowder and mostly seafood, but also hot dogs! Famous for the proprietor Nell the Seafood Diva! Warning don't use your cell phone! ;)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good restaurants in Beach Haven (no driving)

Thank you all for your replies. Yankeemom, I owe you a favor -- staying at the Hydrangea, which you recommended. I checked other places but this one was very appealing b/c of the pool. My son will enjoy that!

I imagine I'm close to everything, even the bus stop. I wanted to ask you if you think it's a good idea to buy the tkts for Sound of Music in advance or it's ok to wait and buy the at the box office.

Thanks again for your help and recommendations.

MaLu

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good restaurants in Beach Haven (no driving)

I cannot say about the Surflight Theater presentation of Sound of Music. It has just opened this week and I haven't seen a review, but reviews of the other shows mounted this summer have been positive. It is a family favorite which makes it appeal to a wide audience. The theater is intimate so there really isn't a bad seat. I have enjoyed Chorus Line from the last row and many others in Center orchestra. And if its rainy, its bound to sell out as everyone seeks an indoor activity. Call and ask about availability on a few different days, that should give you an idea about if you need to buy ahead.

Don't miss the Showplace Ice Cream Parlour with singing waitstaff next door to the Surflight, lines form all evening long!

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good restaurants in Beach Haven (no driving)

Also, If you are using Azumah transport (my husband used them a few times when we were down a vehicle) book in advance as they do get crowded summer peak times. Also, ask if the driver can drop you off on Centre St instead of 4th (I think that is the stop). 4th is still very walkable; but if there is no on else getting off on 4th, they will sometimes accommodate. Its only a couple of blocks further south. Pack light as Beach Haven is casual. Even the nicer restaurants will have some folks in longer shorts or sun dresses. Ask if the Hydrangea House has house bikes, otherwise you can rent to get the real feel for Beach Haven. You may also see pedi cabs (much safer than those crazy pedi cabs in NYC) rolling around offering a lift!

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good restaurants in Beach Haven (no driving)

Following up on Sound of Music at the Surflight. I asked someone who is in tune with what is happening at Surflight and the buzz is that the production of Sound of Music is beautiful. As I stated earlier, it is an intimate theater, so it doesn't take much to sell out. It is professionally performed and staged.

I would buy tickets ahead of time. I am planning on picking a date to attend myself!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good restaurants in Beach Haven (no driving)

Thank you so much for all the help and info! I'll buy the show tickets in advance. I also booked the bus tkts. I'm so looking forward to our vacation!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good restaurants in Beach Haven (no driving)

Sound of Music was amazing! We really enjoyed it and the rest of our vacation in LBI. Thank you again Yankeemom, w/o your help or advice we wouldn't have discovered such a nice place. We already booked for next year; that's how much we liked it!

MaLu