We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LBI - first time visit! Need Some advice

Old Bridge, NJ
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
LBI - first time visit! Need Some advice

Hi! I am a New Jersey resident. My husband and I decided to spend our summer vacation budget in NJ this year to help move everyone forward in the rebuilding process. At first we were thinking wildwood, but couldn't find any hotels there that really rose to the top. So, decided to try looking on LBI. We are thinking about either the Spray Beach Inn or the Sea Spray. We would like to be able to walk to the beach and also walk to restaurants etc. Other than that the only other requirement is for the place to be CLEAN. We totally understand what it means to stay in a motel and are ok with that as long as it's clean. We do have two kids who love pools/water parks and amusement rides so proximity to any of that is also good! Any and all LBI travel advice is welcome... Thank you so much!

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LBI - first time visit! Need Some advice

Although both the Spray Beach Inn and The Sea Spray are good for beach access, one is in Spray Beach and the other in Holgate. Holgate was hit very hard by superstorm Sandy, and many homes are still devasted. There are also not restaurants in walking distance. Spray Beach is just north of Beach Haven, and does have a few more options for dining, I would recommend staying in Beach Haven itself. That would put you in walking (or biking) distance to Thundering Surf water park, Fantasy Island amusements, plenty of shopping, mini golf and the Surflight Theater for professional theater.

Read the reviews here for accommodations. One of the most consistent is the Engleside, which is beach front, great restaurant, close to shops. Another is the Coral Seas, which is a bit more basic, but great beachfront, central location. One not on TA that I have heard good things for is Hydrangea house, which is a family friendly inn that has a pool, great location, not beach front, but easy short walk.

If you are staying a week, most families rent homes or condos, which can be through local realtors or sites such as homeaway.com.

Enjoy!

Old Bridge, NJ
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LBI - first time visit! Need Some advice

Thank you so much. I will look into Engleside! What are your thoughts on Sea Shell? Also, are the amusement parks and water parks open for business this summer?

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LBI - first time visit! Need Some advice

The Sea Shell is in the same stretch of blocks as the Coral Seas and Engleside Inn, so location is great. The were terribly damaged nr Sandy, but worked all off season to refurbish and reopen. In the past, they have had some noise complaints (see reviews) due to live music poolside. We do enjoy lunch or happy hour poolside, sometimes with live music and find it family friendly.

The Amusement area is reopening (fantasy island) as is the water park. You didn't mention the age of your kids, but water park is suitable for all ages-toddler to adult. Fantasy Island is more geared to younger children with a few things older kids/teens would enjoy.

I also recommend Showplace Ice Cream for the singing waitstaff and Surflight Theater for live theater as well Children's Theatre.

Old Bridge, NJ
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LBI - first time visit! Need Some advice

Thanks again for all the advice... We will be at the Engleside starting on July 7th. Since it's our first time, we will only be there a few days. Hopefully, this will turn into our new summer destination! :-)

Karratha, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LBI - first time visit! Need Some advice

Great dining at Bistro14 in Bay Village

Connecticut
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: LBI - first time visit! Need Some advice

How was the beach area at the Englside? Haven't been in a few years but the last time the beach was very thin and at high tide there was little room for all the people. I'm hoping they've brought some sand in with the other renovations!

7. Re: LBI - first time visit! Need Some advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 15:16