We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day itinerary is this ok

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
1 day itinerary is this ok

Hi this will be my first time in Cape may. I only want to see a few sights. Can you tell me is there enought time to see these three things and in which order is best to visit. Its just me and my 16 year old daughter. We live in north jersey so we only plan to drive down for the day arriving by 11am.

She wants to see the lighthouse

i want to see the old victorian homes (are they all together in an area where we can drive or walk around)

and washington mall

and a nice outdoors place for us to have lunch

thanks for your helpj

11 replies to this topic
NJ
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day itinerary is this ok

yes. Go to the lighthouse first last.... The washington mall is near most of the houses. Walk it! You can park for free in town if you just park a bit away from the mall and the ocean ( ohio or reading or in the other direction closer to North cape may) - getting there at 11 may be a little late to get a good parking spot- meters would be a pain in the butt. By going to the lighthouse last, you can leave town via route 626 (aka seashore road/bridge road) rather than the jam on the main exit out of town.

Glenwood, NJ
Level Contributor
151 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day itinerary is this ok

The lighthouse is in Cape May Point no more than 10 minutes away from Cape May city proper. There are old Victorian homes all around Cape May and all within walking distances of the Washington Street Mall - Decatur Street, Jackson Avenue, etc. Try the Cape May Center for the Arts website (https://www.capemaymac.org/) for information.

As for outdoor dining, The Washington Street Mall has A Ca Mia, Tisha's, The Ugly Mug, Cape May Fish Market, Delaney's. Little farther away is McGlade's on the Beach, Harry's (at the Montreal Inn), the Mad Batter.

As for the day you are driving down ... weekday? An 11:00 a.m. arrival should allow for plenty of sights, a lighthouse tour and a relaxing lunch with time to spare. We're in NW NJ so our trip is 3.5 hours during the week. Happy hunting.

Mentioned in this post
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
Washington Street Mall
Washington Street Mall
453 Reviews
Cape May, NJ
Tisha's
Tisha's
1,467 Reviews
Cape May, NJ
Ugly Mug
Ugly Mug
1,347 Reviews
Cape May, NJ
Cape May Fish Market
Cape May Fish Market
555 Reviews
Cape May, NJ
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
The Mad Batter
The Mad Batter
2,258 Reviews
Cape May, NJ
Glenwood, NJ
Level Contributor
151 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day itinerary is this ok

You may even be able to sneak in a horse drawn carriage ride. if you choose to do so, be forewarned ...cash only.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day itinerary is this ok

I would start at the lighthouse and them go to the mall area. Might consider having lunch on the dock/boat at the Lobster House( you would have to drive from mall area but they have plenty of free parking) right on the water.

Mentioned in this post
The Lobster House
The Lobster House
3,486 Reviews
Cape May, NJ
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day itinerary is this ok

Arriving around 11am you will have enough time to do all you plan to do. I second the recommendation for Lobster House and to sit out either on the dock or on the schooner for lunch.

If you visit the Lighthouse later in the afternoon/early evening, be sure to stop at Sunset Beach to see the sunset. There is also a nice gift shop out there as well.

There are also numerous places to have lunch within the Washington Mall area.

The Washington Mall and the general area of the Victorian Homes are within walking distance of each other. The Lighthouse is a quick drive from that area, and Sunset Beach another quick trip from the Lighthouse.

If you have time stroll the promenade along the beach. Stop at the covered deck overlook at Cove Beach for very nice but distant views of the lighthouse.

Hopefully this "taste" of Cape May will have you returning for a longer visit!

Mentioned in this post
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,028 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day itinerary is this ok

I'm no expert on Cape May but since you like looking at Victorian homes and such, be sure to go into Congress Hall and walk around the public areas. It's at one end of the mall and is gorgeous -- more Georgian than Victorian, but gorgeous

Mentioned in this post
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
Congress Hall
Congress Hall
1,242 Reviews
Cape May, NJ
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day itinerary is this ok

Agree with all advice.

The best way to see homes is to walk. From the mall walk down Decatur turn left on Hughes (at the Presbyterian Church) walk to Franklin , Right on Franklin to Columbia,Right on Columbia then back to Decatur.

Also walk from the Mall down Jackson to Beach Drive- maybe the prettiest block in Cape May

A drive North on Beach Drive is worthwhile some Beautiful old Victorians interspersed with more modern construction.

Be sure to climb the lighthouse. The views are gorgeous 199 steps, but there are window alcoves if you need to rest on the way up.

Edited: 03 August 2017, 12:11
Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day itinerary is this ok

http://sunsetbeachnj.com/Things-To-Do/

On your way to the Lighthouse, I recommend that you go past the left turn that takes you there. Follow Sunset Blvd to the end. Click on above link for my reason. Maybe you and your daughter would like a Cape May diamond pendant for a pretty memento. Then, head back down Sunset Blvd. to Lighthouse Rd. Turn right and follow to the Lighthouse. A short ride to the center of Cape May. Parking may be a challenge. There is sure to be some meter parking at the lot next to Collier's Liquor store if nothing else is available.

Mentioned in this post
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day itinerary is this ok

If you follow Tony's advice, the Grille at Sunset Beach has an outdoor deck overlooking the Beach.(In fact outdoor seating is the only seating they have)

very basic menu- burgers hot dogs, cheesesteaks, ice cream Food is good- not grat.

We have always enjoyed it for a relaxing lunch.

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day itinerary is this ok

You should have plenty of time for all of this. If you want to see victorian houses add a stop to the physick estate and take a tour. Its cheap and beautiful. Just don't eat at the carriage house next door-they suck

Reply to: 1 day itinerary is this ok
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted