We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do's in or around Cape May

Which Cape May hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berwick, PA
Level Contributor
43 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Must do's in or around Cape May

We are going for a week from May 31 - June 7th for our 5th wedding anniversary. We are young and in good health. Anyone have any recommendations of things to see or do in or around Cape May?

Thanks!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do's in or around Cape May

I would recommend doing a search on the forum - you should find some helpful/useful information that way. I'd also call the Chamber of Commerce and have them send you a package and a calendar of what's going on in Cape May while you're visiting.

We always enjoy walking around Washington Sqare and shopping, a sunset at Sunset Beach is always nice, there's always a trip to the Arcade for skee-ball (I love giving all of our tickets to a random cute little child when we're leaving). We've taken the ferry over to Lewes and that was a LOT of fun. There's Whale Watching tours. And don't forget to relax and go out for a great dinner, too. :-)

ENJOY!

modernphoenixv2
Level Contributor
966 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do's in or around Cape May

I concur with Shamrock. The great thing about Cape May is the leisurely pace at which life moves. There always seems to be time to walk on the beach (which I HIGHLY recommend in the morning while the sun rises) or stroll through town and enjoy the feel of a National Historic Landmark city.

There is the standard Cape May fare- visit the lighthouse, walk the mall, take a walking tour of the historic district... etc. But there are also some other great ideas. You can rent bikes at a number of places and Cape May is perfect for pedaling around.

Instead of driving to the lighthouse, why not walk the beach? Start at the Cove (2nd avenue beach) and walk the beach past what used to be South Cape May, past the bunker and out to the lighthouse. I've made that trek many times over the years and it is a different side of Cape May than people usually see. Check out the Mid-Atlantic Center for the Arts, who routinely have different tours and events you might enjoy.

Cape May is a very romantic city and it oozes with charm, so I have no doubt you will enjoy a wonderful anniversary. Make sure to take a horse and carriage ride through the city, preferably in the early evening when the gas lights that line the street are lit and there's still people out and about. It's an experience like no other!

Also, make sure to take in a sunrise from atop a lifeguard chair, sitting next to your mate. It's really nice, relaxing and romantic. For a nice romantic dinner, check out the Merion Inn. Call ahead and let them know it's your anniversary.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do's in or around Cape May

check out capemaytimes.com & capemay.com

Berwick, PA
Level Contributor
43 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do's in or around Cape May

Thanks, I'll be sure to check all these out!

Blessings,

Mrs. Tip

modernphoenixv2
Level Contributor
966 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do's in or around Cape May

Oh, while you're down there, make sure to also check out the museum next to the lighthouse. It's very small, but there's some neat stuff in there and it's not as well known as other places. The building itself is an old remnant from when the area was part of a Navy base.

Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
189 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do's in or around Cape May

Relax on the beach. Visit the Cape May Zoo. Just enjoy walking around Cape May. No matter how many times my family visits, we never get tired of just walking around the town.

Maryland
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do's in or around Cape May

You have to take a Carriage ride (they give you a good history lesson), Ride bikes to the lighthouse, take a tour of the Cape May Winery, tour the Southern Mansion, walk through Congress Hall, have a drink in the Brown room at Congress Hall. We have been going to Cape May for 13 years as a family and have spent a few anniversaries there as well. Have a great time. BTW have your anniversary dineer at Tisha's, there's no better place for your anniversary.

8. Re: Must do's in or around Cape May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 15:18