We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape May in April 08?

Maine
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cape May in April 08?

I have heard wonderful things about the Cape May community and want to visit the week of April 20th with my family of 4 and our small dog. We are looking for a beach front place (house/hotel/condo) that accepts pets with a pool open in April. Any advice?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape May in April 08?

They do have dog friendly accommodations - in fact, Bill Mae has a larger cottage for a family and it's dog friendly - but not beach front and no pool.

The Grand Hotel is across from the beach and has a pool that's indoors, so it's open all year. However, they are not pet-friendly.

You could check real estate for rentals and maybe you'll come up with something. I can't think of anything that meets all of your criteria. Finding an outdoor pool open in Cape May might be tricky, unless someone has a heated pool.

I hope someone here has some better news for you.

Good luck.

Cape May Point, New...
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape May in April 08?

The Wilbraham Mansion is the only Bed & Breakfast with an indoor pool, but it's not close to the beach. The Marquise de Lafayette is on the beach and has some pet friendly rooms, but they might fill up fast. It does not have an indoor pool- you already heard about The Grand. Most facility pools wouldn't open until closer to Memorial Day.

If you are looking for a house rental, try www.shoresummerrentals.com and put in pet friendly. I don't know how many will be available then. Also, you probably won't get beach front. We have 2 properties, and neither of them are open until June, and neither are pet friendly for tenants(realtors preference).

I've vacationed in Maine about 20 times in 50 years, primarily at the former Sebasco Lodge near Bath. I know the ocean temperatures up there are a little chilly. The end of April in Cape May may be like early June in Maine. In July, my Dad used to dive into the water and pronounce it "refreshing". My mom would only dip in her toes. So you may be able to wade in Cape May. Otherwise, there will be a lot of walkers, shellers, and kite fliers on the beach. I'd much prefer April than July and August at CM, which tends to be crowded and very hot.

My bichon requires a sedative (sometimes doesn't work) to get the 2 hours from Phila. to Cape May, so I don't know how you travel far with yours. Any hints on how to travel 10 hours to Maine? Sebasco has pet friendly cottages now.

Maine and Cape May, along with Bermuda, are my 3 favorite places on earth. I'm sure you'l love Cape May, too.

Good luck and have fun.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape May in April 08?

I can't believe Marquis slipped my mind. That's what I get for posting so early.

I much prefer April, as well.

I'm sorry your pup doesn't travel well. Mine would knock me down to get inside of the car. He loves it. Do you have a small crate for your pup? Does the pup travel in the crate? I'm wondering if she would feel safer there and have less anxiety.

modernphoenixv2
Level Contributor
966 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape May in April 08?

Well, it seems that the others pretty much answered the question and I agree with their recommendations. I think either the Grand or Marquis de Lafayette will suit you best. Both are oceanfront, but while the Marquis accepts pets on a limited basis, the Grand has a HUGE indoor pool and spa.

NOVA
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape May in April 08?

Hi Sunseeker! I stay at the Marquis with my 3 dogs about 4X a year. If I recall correctly, the pool is not open in April. In fact, it snowed on us last year in April when we were there!! You would need to find an indoor pool at that time of year.

I always stay in a Victorian Suite. The rooms are nothing special, but the staff and breakfast have always been super. The pet friendly rooms are tiled with super easy access for potty breaks. Plus you can sleep listening to the waves, if it's warm enough. 13 days and counting till my trip there(:)!!

Have an ice day!

NOVA
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape May in April 08?

Hey CMPointlover- I adopted a dog a few years ago from petfinder. He was pushed out of a car on a highway in WV. Needless to say he was scared to get in any car. The poor thing would huddle in the back corner and not move. I started with small 10 min. trips to McDonald's. A few hamburgers later and he now jumps right in !!

Have an ice day!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape May in April 08?

OMG Kees - I didn't know that.

I could have lived forever w/out knowing it, too, probably.

Sigh.

Thank you for saving him.

You're such an all-around good egg!

Some people are horrific.

And I guess it's best to leave it at that.

modernphoenixv2
Level Contributor
966 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape May in April 08?

Though most outdoor hotel pools in Cape May are heated, they don't traditionally open until the second or third week in May. The poster who noted you would need an indoor pool is April is right on the money.

Ben

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
309 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape May in April 08?

Good Morning,

I only know of 2 pools that are outdoors and heated. You will find that hotels along the beach open their pools mid-may or Memorial Day weekend. I not even sure the 2 pools I knew of that were heated are heated any longer since the weather is so unpredictable in the early spring. However, you may hit a few beach days though the water will be cold. The temp on Friday was 72 and it was beautiful!

Pat

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
309 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape May in April 08?

Hi Kees,

Good to see you again, missed you and Shamrock.

You are wonderful!!! Of course I knew that all along but I didn't know one of those precious babies was adopted by you!!! You ARE a good soul just as Lori mentioned.

aloha hugs,

Pat

Get answers to your questions about Cape May