We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want Very Clean, Modern HOTEL, on the Beach with a Pool

NJ
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Want Very Clean, Modern HOTEL, on the Beach with a Pool

Any such animal in Cape May?

Not saying money is no object, but willing to pay accordingly.

We Do Not want a B+B...Our priorties are CLEAN, MODERN HOTEL, with a POOL...ON THE BEACH...Fitness Room a plus.

So far we are considering

Congress Hall (reviews I have read don't seem to justify the price)

Grand Hotel (not sure if the rooms are modern)

LaMer (downside, seems to be off the beaten path)

would appreciate any "inside" info, tips, or advice

We are 2 Adults, so children are not a concern...actually we would prefer a HOTEL that is NOT geared for children...Thanks!

NOVA
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want Very Clean, Modern HOTEL, on the Beach with a Pool

Check out the Sandpiper. Don't know when the pool opens, but the rest is Heaven.

Fitness room is super too!

Have an ice day!

NJ
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want Very Clean, Modern HOTEL, on the Beach with a Pool

"Check out the Sandpiper. Don't know when the pool opens, but the rest is Heaven.

Fitness room is super too!

Have an ice day!"

sounds great...unfortunately they do not seem to have anything available the days we are visiting, 8/17- 8/21

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
422 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want Very Clean, Modern HOTEL, on the Beach with a Pool

Congress Hall is worth every penny!!! The Grand is too, but Congress Hall's location is better--way better.

modernphoenixv2
Level Contributor
966 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want Very Clean, Modern HOTEL, on the Beach with a Pool

Congress Hall is a very nice hotel and it is not geared towards children at all. My suggestion would be to stear clear of the third floor, there is a bit of a slope (it's an old hotel, after all) and it can get a little disconcerting. The second-floor rooms are very nice and the views are wonderful. Plus the location is tops.

The Grand is a great hotel, but it is very popular with families because of the two pools, the hot tub and the breakfast buffet. Have you looked into the Montreal Inn or the Marquis De Lafayette?

LaMer is nice, but like you mentioned, it is WAY on the other side of town. Another option for you in Summer Station, which actually offers condos instead of regular rooms. The front condos offer fantastic views of the ocean.

Personally, I think your best choice is Congress Hall or the Montreal Inn.

NOVA
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want Very Clean, Modern HOTEL, on the Beach with a Pool

I can't comment on Congress or Montreal, but Marquis and Summer Station are not modern at all. I stay at the Marquis several times a year, they are the only beach front place that will take my 3 dogs, and it has a great staff and breakfast, but the rooms are far from modern. I've toured quite a few Summer Station condos and they don't even have a TV in the bedrooms. Their units don't seem to be updated at all.

Hope this helps.

Have an ice day!

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
309 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want Very Clean, Modern HOTEL, on the Beach with a Pool

Good Evening,

Just to let you know, none of the hotels are on the beach in Cape May. We are all across the street from the beach. The La Mer and Montreal are modern accommodations that have been renovated within the last 2 years. The la Mer is about 10 blocks from the Washington Street Mall, the Montreal is 6 blocks. However, in the summer there is a trolley that you can ride into town.

You will find that most hotels are looking for families to stay with them in the summer. Though there are many couples who stay at these hotels, families are encouraged.

The Sandpiper is wonderful and close to the Town and walking Mall area. It may be what you are looking for.

Congress Hall is near town also. Just remember when choosing a place, because a review you are reading may not be gushing praise, the reviews are honest and everyone has different expectations.

That said, the properties you are looking at are clean and comfortable. You are going to Cape May for Cape May, the town, the beach, the dining and everything it has to offer. As long as you are in a clean, friendly, comfortable place, the rest is up to you.

If these websites have tours of the rooms, compare one to the other. Personally, I love the La Mer, someone else may not agree, but that is okay.

Hope this helps. No matter where you choose to stay, please enjoy Cape May.

Take care,

Pat

New Jersey
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want Very Clean, Modern HOTEL, on the Beach with a Pool

We live in Jersey and go to Cape May usually 2 to 3 times a year. Just got back and really enjoyed ourselves. We have never stayed at the Marquis, but our friends did and I can tell you the rooms are really quite small. When we went this week, we ate at 'Peter Shields', first time. We really enjoyed it. Lovely setting and the food was great, especially the cheese cake. To us Cape May is really like another world. My husband likes hotels, I like the B & B's. Since this is really the only place we do stay at B&B's, I can't give you too much help with a hotel. Enjoy.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,221 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want Very Clean, Modern HOTEL, on the Beach with a Pool

Reading between the lines above- lower your expectations a little bit and just have a great time. CM is not AC. Most of the places do the best they can but there is alot of sand in CM and it all seems to get back to my room. Modern- Last I heard, almost all the hotels had upgraded from oil lamps to electricity. Pool in August- it's called the Atlantic Ocean.

I am sure that there are adult only b and b's but you don't want to stay in one. The rest of Cape May (except for Collier's) is totally geared for kids and the only purpose the adults is to give the kids a ride there.

9. Re: Want Very Clean, Modern HOTEL, on the Beach with a Pool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 July 2011, 14:44
modernphoenixv2
Level Contributor
966 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Want Very Clean, Modern HOTEL, on the Beach with a Pool

I'm not sure what Neslaw1 is talking about, there's absolutely no reason why you should lower your expectations. Congress Hall would give you exactly what you're looking for, if you're looking for an upscale hotel that doesn't really cater to kids and provides ultra-modern amenities. It's run by the same organization that runs Virginia Hotel and the Sandpiper. The most likely reason for the lower reviews on here is because families go there expecting it to be a family-oriented hotel and it's not. The restaurant in the hotel is on the fancier side, as is the lounge and piano bar.

The idea of Cape May being geared to kids is a bit ridiculous. In the 30+ years I can speak of from my personal experience, Cape May has always been more of an adult's resort. There are more than twice as many gourmet restaurants as casual, family-friendly restaurants and nearly every one of the over 40 B&B's will not accept kids under 12 or 14. With regard to kids activities, there are only two small arcades. In those arcades, more room is taken up by slot machines (they pay tokens) than video games.

Beach Avenue is home to no less than 6 bars and a liquor store. The outdoor mall is filled with boutiques and other specialty shops that are geared towards adults... I could go on and on, but you get the point.

Basically, don't lower your expectations, there is no reason to do it. Cape May offers exactly what you're looking for, there's no reason to compromise.