We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic ideas for weekend anniversay getaway

New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic ideas for weekend anniversay getaway

Will be traveling to Cape May for the first time on Friday October 8th to Sunday Ocotber 10 (Columbus Day Weekend).Will be taking my wife for our 15th Anniversary. I know nothing about Cape May except what I have seen on Trip Advisor. I already have lodging. Can anyone recommend any must do things that are romantic. Also would like some recommendations on good restaurants for dinner that are also romantic.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic ideas for weekend anniversay getaway

As far as dining goes, Washington Inn would top my list.

Other solid choices include 410 Bank, Merion Inn, and Ebbits room.

modernphoenixv2
Level Contributor
966 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic ideas for weekend anniversay getaway

That list left out one of my tops that just reopened, Tisha's, and another favorite called Freda's on Ocean Street. Freda's is run by the former chef of the Plaza Hotel in Cape May and his wife, who was the Pastry Chef for the Plaza. As you can imagine, their food is incredible. When you visit Tisha's, and you MUST visit Tisha's, end your meal with the flourless cake. Words can't explain how good that is.

Ben Miller

Romance-wise, make sure to take a horse-drawn carriage around the historic district. You can pick one up at the Ocean Street end of the mall.

wilmington
Level Contributor
292 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic ideas for weekend anniversay getaway

While Freda's has good food, I would certainly not call it romantic. I would add Peter Shields Inn, Alexander's inn, Merion Inn, Union Park and maybe Alethea's for romantic. We have Valentine's Day dinner at the Peter Shields Inn every year. You can BYOB or buy Cape May winery wines there, as I recall.

I think that is also the first weekend of Victorian Week, so check out the activities at Mid Atlantic Center for the Arts. There is probably a chocolate event and a champagne brunch that weekend, maybe some wine or beer tastings.

Enjoy!

modernphoenixv2
Level Contributor
966 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic ideas for weekend anniversay getaway

Very good suggestions with Alexander's and Merion Inn, though I disagree with what was said about Freda's. It's a small, intimate space with low lighting. Let me give you an example of why I rarely recommend Peter Shields, though I think highly of the Innkeeper, Bridget- Last time I ate their for dinner, I had the lobster cake and some tomato basil soup for an appetizer. The soup was ok, but the lobster cake was extremely dry and the crawfish they put on top of it oozed something on the lobster cake. I thought it was a sauce and tasted it.... it was not a sauce.

Then we ordered the brownie with ice cream for dessert. It cost $8 a person and again, it was ok, but not extraordinary. The ice cream tasted familiar and I asked the waiter about it. He told me it was Turkey Hill. He then proceeded to tell me that most of the desserts and soups were bought prepared from a distributor. I remember it distinctly, because he had a neat accent and it sounded even more harsh hearing it with that accent.

It's fine if a restaurant wants to do that and I know a lot do, but don't charge exhorbitant prices for food I could buy at Wawa. I recommended Freda's because I've never had a bad meal there and everything is fresh, homemade. They (like many other local restaurants) use fresh herbs and spices from their own gardens and make their soups, desserts and more from scratch.

Consider that the desserts at Peter Shields are the exact same price as the Washington Inn or Fredas, who both employ Pastry Chefs and make everything on the premesis. The Washington Inn's homeade ice creams are magnificent!

I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and yours may be different than mine, so why not try each of these places mentioned at some point and tell us what you think?

Ben Miller

Edited: 05 August 2010, 18:06
New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic ideas for weekend anniversay getaway

Thanks for the advice. Based on your answer and the others I received I will probably try Freda's and the Washington Inn. I am also conisdering a place called George's. This is only based on the fact that it is rated #1 in Trip Advisor for the area. Some people also said they dont have kids after six. Normally I would balk at this but I am not traveling with my little ones this time out. Do you or anyone else know anyting about George's?

PA.
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic ideas for weekend anniversay getaway

George's has excellent food but I would not call it a place for a romantic dinner. Unless things have changed, they don't take reservations and you have to wait in line at 5 PM and then hope you get a spot for dinner because they go within 15 minutes. I would suggest you try George's for lunch or breakfast and go to one of the other recommended spots for dinner.

modernphoenixv2
Level Contributor
966 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic ideas for weekend anniversay getaway

I agree with the post above. George's food is phenominal, but it's not a romantic setting. It's a family-run restaurant that's been around 30 years with the same family, no reservations are taken and they only accept cash. The interior is decorated as a mix between a diner and something Ikea-inspired. Stick with the Washington Inn or Freda's for the romantic dinner, but check out George's for breakfast (Bananas Foster French Toast is a specialty) or lunch (homemade gyros).

Ben Miller

8. Re: Romantic ideas for weekend anniversay getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2011, 07:21
Get answers to your questions about Cape May
Recent Conversations