We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outdoor pool open in evening?

wilmington
Level Contributor
292 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Outdoor pool open in evening?

We have always stayed in a bed and breakfast, but are being swayed by the attraction of having a pool. But it seems most hotel/motel pools close very early, like 6 or 7. My favorite time for a swim in the pool is after the sun is low, or even after dark. Is there anywhere with an outdoor pool that stays open late? Maybe Congress Hall?

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,856 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outdoor pool open in evening?

I have stayed at a few hotels down there but never one that had a late opening for the pool. I know what you mean, though. They look so inviting all lit up at night!!! Perhaps they close early for safety issues...they don't want to have to pay a lifeguard any more hours than needed.

Good luck with your search and have a great time!

modernphoenixv2
Level Contributor
966 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outdoor pool open in evening?

It's an insurance thing, unfortunately. The insurance for having the pool open at night is astronomical in Cape May. There's a fear that the night swimming would lead to intoxicated people in the pool which could potentially lead to death. A number of local hotels used to offer it, but the insurance costs shut it down.

Another concern is NJ's insistence that a Manager must be on the premesis when the pool is open. I suppose they could always just deem the night person a night Manager, but again, it's a liability concern.

I agree with you that the pools would be wonderful at night. My family and I were in Orlando a month ago and they allow you to swim from 6am to 11pm. It was wonderful to both get an early morning swim and then float around at night, looking at the stars.

Ben Miller

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,856 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outdoor pool open in evening?

Thanks for the info, Ben. I always wondered what the real reason was.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outdoor pool open in evening?

I always thought that there was some "gentlemen's agreement" so as to compel folks to go out and spend money in the bars, restaurants, etc.

5. Re: Outdoor pool open in evening?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2011, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Cape May
Recent Conversations