We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Cape May?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Cape May?

Could I get some recomendations for a reasonably priced place to stay in Cape May during the summer. I am going to be traveling with my wife and possibly one other couple. We would like to be walking distance to the beach and would probably be staying anywhere from 4 days to a week. I had been looking at different hotels but are there are also houses/condos to rent?

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Cape May?

Reasonable and Cape May are not often used in same sentence during the summer in Cape May.

A place thqat does come to mind is Madison Suites...a little off the main drags and probably about a 5 minute walk to beach.

modernphoenixv2
Level Contributor
966 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Cape May?

There are a few places that would be perfect for you, but like the previous person noted, the prices can be high in summer because Cape May is one of the most popular summer spots in the country. Since the Travel Channel named Cape May among the top 10 beach resorts in America, even more people have come. The good thing about the city, however, is the lack of overly-commercial ventures that you find in other seaside places and the laid back nature of things. Even with all the people, the city is a safe, relaxing place with relatively little crime or dirt.

I do have to disagree with the recommendation of Madison Avenue Beach Club, it's much farther from the beach and city than anything else and the price is much higher than many places right in the heart of things. Madison charges up to $350 + tax in season, which will be about $400 a night for a room. Consider the Victorian Motel, a block from the beach and directly across the street from the Washington Street Mall. The most expensive room they have at the height of the season is $225 and they have rooms for $165.

I'd also check out the Camelot, the Montreal Inn and the Grand Hotel. The benefit of the Grand that nobody else has is an indoor and an outdoor pool. If the weather is nasty, use the indoor pool. The Montreal Inn has a tremendous on-site restaurant known as Harry's and also a small gift shop and liquor store, if you so desire.

My point is, don't settle for a place that is outside of Cape May or on the outskirts of town if you really want to be in the middle of town. There are always choices that will work for you. For instance, if all else fails, there is a small motel on Lafayette St known as the Cape Winds. I normally wouldn't recommend it, but if price is a factor and you want to be close to town, it might be an option. Definitely no-frills though, nothing like any of the other properties I mentioned. In my personal opinion, it sounds like the Victorian would be perfect for you. They're close to eveything, among the lowest rates in Cape May, have a huge pool, two queen beds in the rooms and as I type this, they're in the middle of remodeling their rooms.

Hope that helps!

Ben Miller

NYC
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Cape May?

Twin Gables B&B is very reasonable, even in summer, and the breakfasts there can't be beat. Regina will take very good care of you.

4. Re: Where to stay in Cape May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 19:17