We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities for over 60 "girls"

Which Cape May hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Activities for over 60 "girls"

Three retired ladies will be staying in Cape May early June for 2 nights. Apart from the beach and shopping, what activities are suggested that will give us a good flavor of what Cape May is all about? I know there are gorgeous Victorian houses- are they open for tours? What other adventures are available? We will be arriving late afternoon on a Sunday and leaving very early on a Tuesday morning.

Thanks.

Joanne

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities for over 60 "girls"

You might look at the Calendar of events at www.capemaymac.org.

Some obvious possibilities are a trolley tour (different tours on different days)., Touring the Physick estate, climbing the lighthouse (199 steps) attending the flag lowering ceremony at Sunset Beach. ,A horse and carriage tour, a dolphin watch cruise, Cape May Stage (only on Sunday Afternoon at 3PM).

By June the 2012 designer show house should be available for tours, although surprisingly there is no information yet on MAC's website.

The Mainstay and the Queen Victoria normally give tours.

There used to be a rotating list of two or three Band B's open for tours during the week. but I don't see any in early June's calendar of events.

Edited: 20 April 2012, 20:25
St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities for over 60 "girls"

a rental bike - a garden walkabout - the walking tour of Cape May Point - [Book by J. Jordan ISBN --0-7643- 2108- 0 --- also for sale at Whales Tale] is another side of the Cape May area - many vineyards have tasting rooms and tours - the Zoo is great - the CM Golf Course is excellent - check for any art exhibits or street fairs - West End Garage is a treat - find an early morning bakery by smell - walk the Promenade in the AM or sunset - lunch on the 'Schooner' at the Lobster House - a dolphin and whale boat ride - kayak the bay with the Nature Group - way too much to do in Cape May!!!!!

Delaware
Level Contributor
402 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities for over 60 "girls"

West End Garage is a real treasure...a combination of antiques, quality art works and beautiful handmade clothing and unique jewelry. I am a 60 year old woman who can spend hours there and I don't even like to shop!

Chappaqua, New York
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities for over 60 "girls"

Bearsfan23.....I agree with all the above postings. Have been coming to Cape May every year at the beginning of summer, what a special place!

Before you come up, check out www.capemaymac.org for your specific dates, it will be the same info that will be published as free booklets throughout the shops, and will help you plan your days/nights.

In addition, look at www.exitzero.us for all the latest local scoop.

Our favorites:

sunrise - walk on boardwalk/promenade parallel to beach

breakfast - Uncle Bill's, Mad Batter

lunch - Hot Dog Tommys, Lobster House, Lucky Bones

dinner - Lobster House, Washington Inn, Lucky Bones

outdoor dining - Harpoon Henry's, Lobster House, Harbor House

sunset - flag lowering at Sunset Beach to Kate Smith's singing

rainy day - Atlantic City

If you have not yet made accomodations, our favorites:

The Columbia House

Congress Hall

Virginia Hotel

If you want to stay in Wildwood Crest,

Seapointe Village (ask for Dottie)

Enjoy!

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities for over 60 "girls"

Thanks everyone; I'm printing out all the above suggestions. We were fortunate to get a condo about a block from the beach, so we are all set on accommodations. Now the fun begins....

Joanne (aka Bearsfan)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
57 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Activities for over 60 "girls"

Not sure if these are activities you would like, but just a thought. . .

There is also the Cape May Winery http://www.capemaywinery.com/. You can go and just do tastings, or I think they have tours also. Or you can get a bottle of wine and sit on the porch and eat cheese and crackers.

Bird watching is another nice thing you can do in the Cape may area. There are sometimes walking tours offered and boat trips http://www.birdcapemay.org/ It looks like they haven't posted the june event schedule yet.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activities for over 60 "girls"

Just returned from our Cape May "girls' get-away" and had a great time. We only had 2 nights and one full day (as it turned out) but managed to get in many activities. We shopped the pedestrian mall (of course) and took the trolly tour and the tour of the Emlen Physick Estate. We did a night climb of the Cape May lighthouse- the full moon only peeked out for a minute through the clouds, but it was a great view. We ate dinner at Marion Inn (Fabulous) and the Lobster House (also great). Turned out to be restaurant week which made eating at the Marion even better! We walked along the sea wall, but not on the beach (sorry, I refuse to pay $5 to step on the beach, especially when I live in Hilton Head where the beach is free). Our condo on Heritage Triangle met our needs well and was in walking distance from the center of town. All in all, we had a wonderful visit.

Thank you to all that suggested activities. We could have spent more time there, but also spent some time exploring the historic section of Philly (flew in and out of that airport) and our husbands were good enough to let us leave them alone for several nights as it was (ha, ha- sure they all managed just fine).

Joanne

8. Re: Activities for over 60 "girls"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 23:40