We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat in Cape May , New Jersey

NY, NY
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat in Cape May , New Jersey

Taking a trip to Cape May , NJ over Labor Day Weekend for the first time. Any suggestions of where to eat ,to get a sampling of the wonderful restaurants would be greatly appreciated. Love Seafood.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat in Cape May , New Jersey

As you'll see me do a lot on this board, my first recommendation is The Washington Inn. I wrote a review on here last July, if you'd care to read it. Unfortunately, there are two or three not so great reviews as of recent - I spoke with some people I know at TWI - and it seemed to be a matter the wait-staff at that time. I'm sure most people on this board will agree that the food, service, and atmosphere are all outstanding. You can find a sample menu on their website.

Some other favorites are The Ebbit Room at the Virginia Hotel, Cucina Rosa for Italian, The Mad Batter is great, too. Also, TWI just opened a new casual eatery (right near the bridge) called Lucky Bones. It had just opened before we were there last in April and the food was very very good.

I hope this helps and enjoy your weekend in Cape May.

Glenwood, NJ
Level Contributor
149 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat in Cape May , New Jersey

Very hard to go wrong dining out in Cape May. Axelsson's Blue Claw, Oyster Bay and Tisha's - all great places to dine. Places such as 410 Bank, Merion Inn, Peter Shields - we've not personally been but from speaking to others, they are also excellent places to dine.

Enjoy the Cape.

Harrisburg, PA
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat in Cape May , New Jersey

Cucina Rosa is just plain delicious. The service is great, prices not bad, food superb. The seafood pastas that we ordered were fresh, hot, not overly heavy, and spiced just right.

They get my vote.

Level Contributor
410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat in Cape May , New Jersey

Lobster House had great seafood. They also have a schooner docked permanently and serves as a bar and causual dining area. They make great drinks!

For more elegant atmosphere, Marion Inn was beautiful with great service, and of course, great food. They had live music every night as well.

For casual and inexpensive lunch on the beach, Henry's had great crab cake sandwich. I also loved their Fish sandwich with special Henry's sauce.

Level Contributor
410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat in Cape May , New Jersey

sorry, that was Merion Inn

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
270 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat in Cape May , New Jersey

My vote goes for The Merion Inn, Oyster Bay and Cucina Rosa, for casual Carneys - they have great old bay fries. Vanthias offers a great lunch and desserts and for breakfast the Mad Batter!! Enjoy!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat in Cape May , New Jersey

The Ebbitt Room at the Virginia Hotel and the Washington Inn are my favourites. Both have liquor licenses, if that kind of thing is important to you.

New Jersey
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to eat in Cape May , New Jersey

The Cove Restaurant, which is located right on the beach at the south end of the promenade, or boardwalk. They serve breakfast and lunch and have really good omlettes, pancakes, etc. They also have great fresh seafood... clams, grilled fish, scallops, shrimp and Cape May's best crab cakes. The atmosphere is seashore beachy.

This is my Cape May favorite.

Cape May
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to eat in Cape May , New Jersey

To me, the only decent restaurants in Cape May are The Washington Inn, The Blue Claw, and The Black Duck. Even with these, you will find that the service is not as sophisticated as you would find at a fine restaurant in any of the major cities (Philadelphia, New York). They try, but most of the servers are college kids who get a bit of training but are not professional waiters/waitresses. In any case, though, they're the best that Cape May has to offer.

Not to offend anyone, but my husband is Italian, and I must say that he thinks Cucina Rosa's food is terrible. It's just a few notches above Pizza Hut. However, if you're not used to going out to really good Italian restaurants (such as those found in northern N.J., N.Y. City, or Philadelphia), then it may be fine for you.

Level Contributor
1,291 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to eat in Cape May , New Jersey

Many of the cape may restaurants are first classI lived there in Cape May Point over the summer for yrs..Try Daniels, Peaches at Sunset, and Washington Inn....and definitely mad batter for breakfast!!!!