We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help w/ planning a vaca!

sField
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help w/ planning a vaca!

I'm planning a short little romantic vaca for my boyfriend and I and I was planning to stay at either the Fairthorne or the Atlantis Inn located in Ocean City, NJ during mid-May. Has anyone been to either and can help me make a decision? Give me any info on either whether it's good or bad. Also I wanted to know any fun activities we could do during the afternoon/evening and any near by attractions. Please help! Thanks in advanced!

Glenwood, NJ
Level Contributor
149 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help w/ planning a vaca!

May want to try this forum for information instead:

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g46696-Ocean_City_Ne…

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help w/ planning a vaca!

Try posting on the Ocean City forum.

sField
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help w/ planning a vaca!

Well actually, the Fairthorne is located in Cape May isn't it? I just wanted to get a feel for that B&B if you could help me. I saw that Queen Victoria was #1 and Fairthorne was #21 on this site. Could you help me choose the right one for me? Any advice on other B&B are welcome too! I just want a clean bed/bathroom with delicious food a romantic aura and wonderful company. And I'd still like some help with any activities and so forth my BF and I could participate in. THANKS :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help w/ planning a vaca!

Oh - okay - I see it now. I thought both listings were for Ocean City. My bad (and my apologies.)

Mid-May is a great time to visit!

Unfortunately, I've not stayed at the Fairthorne, nor do I know anyone who has.

I do go to Cape May quite often - and two of my favorites are:

The Mission Inn

Southern Mansion

I could help you with those (and we've stayed at several others - those are just my favorite).

Good luck deciding

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help w/ planning a vaca!

Hi again,

Had an afterthought since posting this afternoon.

I'm not sure where you're from (all it says is "sField"), so I'm not sure if you've ever been to the "Jersey Shore" or if you're going strictly from the #1 picks on the site.

I spend most of my time on the Aruba boards, as I've been several times and am planning a return trip in April. And, when I look at the #1 rated hotel - I'm quite confused by how that came to be. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice (or my 10th - or 20th, for that matter). The same with Atlantic City, etc.

As I mentioned earlier, I've not stayed at Fairthorne, so I can't give you first-hand information. I just wanted to let you know that - even though a hotel rates well (perhaps someone traveling on a budget found it above and beyond their expectations and worth the money, etc.) it may not be what you're anticipating for your specific trip.

Am I making sense?

Also, if memory serves me...Ocean City, NJ is a dry town. This meaing that if you and your BF would like to go out for a romantic dinner and enjoy a bottle of wine, you'll have to do so out of town. I stayed at a B&B in Ocean City years ago, and learned this the hard way. LOL. I do believe that OC has more day-time activities. However, it's unlikely that most of them will be opened in mid-May. You can check their local board for more information.

If you do, however, decide to stay in Cape May, you can pull up their calendar from Chamber of Commerce to see what's going on for that month. The lighthouse - sunset beach - and the shops on Washington Street are always open. Also, there are many excellent restaurants in Cape May.

And, if I was going to recommend an all-time favorite B&B (with a wonderful gourmet breakfast, fresh-cut flowers in the rooms, a lovely happy hour with wine and snacks, etc.) that is truly romantic (especially if you don't have a strong taste for the Victorian flavor) (which I, personally, do not) the Mission Inn really is a gorgeous place to visit. They've put such care in to the renovations and the Innkeepers are so warm and friendly and make you feel so at home. A couple of the rooms have sunken jet tubs and fireplaces, too. (How's that for romantic?) 8-)

Anyway, I wanted to get back to you with this additional information and also to let you know that you can take a viritual tour of the entire Inn (all of the rooms that they offer, too) on their website.

www.missioninn.net

I hope this is helpful.

sField
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help w/ planning a vaca!

Omg!

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!

You've been more than helpful.

It's so stressful trying to find the right place, but I'll definitely look into the Mission Inn b/c I'd rather go to Cape May than OC during that time of the year. Thank you again :D

Oh and btw, I'm frm Springfield, VA and I've been to OC, NJ once. :)

NOVA
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help w/ planning a vaca!

Hi Marco and Lori! Marco, I'm your neighbor here in VA. (Woodbridge, Lake Ridge area) I often go to CM, but always stay at the Marquis as I bring my dogs. So I'm no help with a B&B, but consider taking the ferry from Lewes to get to CM. It is a wonderful trip and the views are amazing. It take longer than driving, but is well worth it. Enjoy!

have an ice day!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
140 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help w/ planning a vaca!

Hi Marcopolo484,

My husband and I have stayed at the Fairthorne in Cape May twice already. Like you, we went for a romantic getaway and a little relaxation. I can highly recommend the Fairthorne. The Inn is beautiful, romantic and very clean. The owners are fabulous people who will make you feel very special. Diane's breakfast are too die for and her afternoon snakcs are delicious. Mostly all of the other guests we had spoken to are repeats. Some of them have been going to the inn for many years. That is how great it is.

If you need any advice on entertaining activities to do there, such as night clubs, discos, restaurants, or great shopping, the owners can advise you on just about everything of interest there is to do. There is entertainment ranging from plays, musicals, movies, museums and of course touring the beautiful victorian homes, A must is to take a romantic horse and cab ride during the evening.

We have been to over a dozen inns in the Cape and this should be ranked in the top three.

Hope this information I have provided will help with your decision as to where to stay.

sField
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help w/ planning a vaca!

Thanks keeshond and lucky!

I'll definitely think about taking the ferry ride. That sounds beautiful!

And I'm actually starting to lean for towards Fairthorne now thanks to you lucky!

Thanks again to both! :)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
140 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help w/ planning a vaca!

Hi Marcopol,

Just want to let you know that if you are planning on staying at the Fairthorne, we stayed in the Catherine Room which had a king-sized bed and was the least expensive of all their rooms. Though the bathroom in this room was tiny it really didn't matter much to us. The other rooms have very spacious bathrooms and are much larger. Most of the couples who go for a romantic time like to stay in the Debbie Room. It has his and her bathrooms. You can check out all their rooms on their website: www.fairthorne.com.

Just thought this info might be of interest to you.

Get answers to your questions about Cape May
Recent Conversations