We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the area like?

Seattle
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What's the area like?

I'm interviewing for a job in the area and would like some information. I'd probably be renting from someone in town, rather than taking an apartment. Looking for info on places to stay, things to do, transit, crime, etc.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,762 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the area like?

Wheres the job? Clifton is a city with a very diverse cuture and neighborhoods, with a large Arabic, Hispanic and Turkish population. My advice to you would be see if you get the job than look for an aprtment.

Seattle
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the area like?

Sure, but part of whether I take the job or not will depend on the area. If it's a hellhole, I'll try to avoid accepting a job offer there.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,762 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the area like?

Clifton is a decent area.

Seattle
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the area like?

Thanks--that helps. I really can't afford to turn down any job that comes my way, even if it is clear across the country.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the area like?

I don't know anything about clifton, but just because you work in Clifton doesn't mean you have to live there. Most people in New Jersey don't live where they work.

Seattle
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the area like?

Yeah, funny how that works, isn't it? I've been approached by people for jobs at ITT (Clifton) and L3 (Camden), and in the latter case, I was told that the contractors could live literally right next door to the workplace--but that most others did not live in Camden. If I'd accepted either job, I could have gone back to work months ago, but the fact that they've been trying so long to get people makes me suspect that the environs are not, shall we say, optimal.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,383 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the area like?

If you google "clifton nj" and click on the map you'll see that, as is typical of this part of the country, there are many, many towns right next to each other. Almost every one of the names that come up on the map are individual municipalities, with populations ranging from a low of around 8 or 10,000 to a high of around 35,000 (though Patterson is larger, I'm sure). In fact, if you were to drive around the area, you would likely not even notice that you were passing in and out of towns.

I don't know Cliftion itself but there are plenty nice towns around it.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,383 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the area like?

BTW, re that job in Camden. Camden really is a disaster (I worked there many years ago, and it was a depressed place then and it's only gotten worse). However, it's a VERY short drive to some great communities like Collingswood, Cherry Hill, and many, many others. Do not turn the job down because Camden is such a mess. In fact, Camden is also right across the river from Philadelphia which has an incredibly charming, beautiful and historic downtown (called "Center City")

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the area like?

Camden is another story....one of the worst, but as mentioned Clifton is very near to some very desirable places. Can't you fly out and check it out rather than take a job without seeing the area?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,383 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the area like?

forgot one other thing about Camden. If your work is walkable to the subway (called the "PATCO High Speed Line") then you may not even require a car. If work and apartment are walkable to the camden PATCO station then you definetley won't need a car. The High Speed Line runs from Philadelphia into Camden and then on to a bunch of other NJ communities that are NICE.

Get answers to your questions about Clifton