We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palisades State Park

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Palisades State Park

Okay, it appears that no one logs on to this site from Fort Lee...but I am going to take my chances. I am wondering if it is possible to access the hiking trails along the Hudson River in Palisades State Park VIA FOOT. Is there any pedestrian access to the park that would allow one to walk on the cycle/walk path??? I have googled my heart out and cannot seem to find the answer. I even called the Parks and Rec commission of Fort Lee; they could not provide an answer either.

I am considering moving to an apartment complex near the GW Bridge and thought that this would be the "bonus" to help w. my decision. I am from the "country" and would highly value this access!

Thanks so much...

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Palisades State Park

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Are you saying you plan on hiking up to Palisades Park?

http://www.njpalisades.org/

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Palisades State Park

Excuse me if this is not the correct manner in which to respond to BROADWAYNYC. But here's the deal. I am thinking of taking an apartment in a complex called Linwood Park ( Edwin Ave, Park Place in Fort Lee) I've been told that Palisades State Park is very close by and some folks have told me that I could simply walk to it and others have said that "No", I would need to take my car and park it at Ross Dock or someother place in order to access the hiking trails. ( They say that this is approx 1mi drive)

The apartment complex is literally just a couple blocks from the bridge and the feed off of 9W. I just would like to walk to the Park and its trails w.o. having to take the car etc. I've looked at maps and it is soooooooooooo close but I cannot determine if there is pedestrian access....without crossing 5 lanes of zooming traffic. Local streets or a pedestrian overpass?

Thanks so much for your answer. I was pretty surprised to find the notice in my e-mail :-)

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Palisades State Park

Gotcha.

This is what you can do.

Hopefully, you have a fast internet connection.

Go to maps.google.com

and search on Edwin Ave, Fort Lee, NJ

zoom in on the map

also click on Hybrid located at top right of the map

You can get a pretty good aerial view of the area

I can even see the apartment buildings

Unfortunately there are so many trees it is hard to tell what trails are there when you get closer to the park

Sorry, can't help any further.

Annadale, VA
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Palisades State Park

i used to live in fort lee,

but i'm not too sure where pal state park is, if it's the park jutting into the hudson by the gwb then no, it's not within walking distance because you would have to descend the cliff along the car road.

if you're talking about the scenic place on top of the cliffs then the walk is doable but not recommended probably a 30- 45 min walk no major highways but a couple of major roads.

hope this helps

Fort Lee
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Palisades State Park

I was thinking the same thing , seems like no one from Fort Lee has been to this site. Well anyway I've lived in Fort Lee for 21 years now and I,m a hiker. There are GREAT places to Hike around this area. I found out about all the trails by being a member of the NY/NJ Trail Conference. (Make & Maintain Hiking Trails Org.) Check out there web site. Also you can get maps of the Hudson area at Campmore on Rt. 17 North. There are a couple of hiking trails you can access from GWB area, one trail on the top that goes along 9W a while north. I have'nt Hiked that area in a long time but I think it goes to the Monument Dedicated to Woman ( I for got the details). Also there is a very long stairway to the botton of the Huson and there are more hiking trails down there too!

Good luck & have fun...

Fort Lee, NJ
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Palisades State Park

I am the Director of Sales for the Holiday Inn of Fort Lee. I started in September and part of my work presently is to monitor the web and internet information.

Now, my son and I just completed 2 hikes there. One is called the Shore Path (13 miles) and the other is the Long Path (11 miles). All I can say is be prepared! If you plan on doing this you'll need one car to be dropped off where you plan on finishing, and then one at the starting point.

There is the Fort Lee Historic Commission which is in the park. You get there off River Road.

My son and I are members of a local Boy Scout Troop. Scouts know about hiking.

That being said, if you or anyone else out there have any questions, please conntact me at anytime.

7. Re: Palisades State Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Fort Lee