We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cake Boss, Baby!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cake Boss, Baby!

DYING to visit Carlo's bakery during my trip to NYC this year!

What is the best (cheapest, fastest) way to get from New York City (Times Square area) to Hoboken, New Jersey?

Thanks!

Nyc
Level Contributor
45 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cake Boss, Baby!

The PATH train is probably the easiest. There is a station at 32nd Street and 6th Ave in NYC. The fare is $1.75. Take the Hoboken (HOB) train. It's a ten minute ride and very safe. Carlos is a three minute walk from the Hoboken PATH Station.

www.panynj.gov/path/

The lines for Carlos are shortest on school days. On weekends be prepared to stand in line for an hour. During the summer months and around holidays, for up to three hours.

Boston...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Cake Boss, Baby!

Where's a hotel close to this station

Asbury Park, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cake Boss, Baby!

The W is very close to the path, and the bakery.

Edited: 23 February 2011, 01:56
Durban
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cake Boss, Baby!

Hi there, was the trip to Cake Boss worth it? Five south african girls will be visiting NYC in July and having just read that the wait could be up to three hours in the summer, am just wondering ....! My niece is particularly keen to go. I had though of spending our first two nights in Hoboken, is the "W" the recommended hotel? Or any others worth a look? thanks for your help and advice :)

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cake Boss, Baby!

RoRoDurban,

The W is a gorgeous hotel. Not too far from the PATH for a quick trip into the city. There really aren't too many options actually in Hoboken. There's a Westin, a DoubleTree and a Marriott at the Newport PATH station, which would get you to Hoboken in a couple of minutes (and into the city as quickly). There's also a lightrail stop there, too. They might be a bit less expensive than the W, but it depends on the time of week, etc.

As for visiting the bakery, I think you'll be just as happy with a quick photo in front with the sign as you would waiting in line for hours just to get in and buy crap pastries! Enjoy your trip!!

Nyc
Level Contributor
45 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cake Boss, Baby!

I have to agree with Paulus Hook ...Standing in line for four to five hours, and you will wait that long, in the summer humidity and heat is not worth it. People pass out on line, there are no public restrooms nearby and the baked goods are expensive and not very good.

Let's see 500 families a day spending say $75 on tee shirts and cupcakes and cookies. Thats $1,125,000 a month Buddy just made by having you stand in line for four hours. There's a sucker born every minute.

If Buddy and his family really cared they could hand out tickets with an entry time. That would allow families to get into an air conditioned restaurant instead of waiting in the heat for hours.

Seattle
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cake Boss, Baby!

I would do as the other posters said. Jersey is filled with incredible italian bakeries. I don't think Carlo's is one of them. Get a picture in front of the sign and hit one of the other million delicious bakeries nearby.

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cake Boss, Baby!

As P. T. Barnum supposedly didn’t say:

"There's a sucker born every minute"

…wikipedia.org/wiki/There%27s_a_sucker_born_…

>>>”DYING to visit Carlo's bakery”<<<

I agree with everyone above. Don’t die, just take your picture & run!

Edited: 21 June 2011, 05:17
Ottawa, Ontario
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cake Boss, Baby!

Even after reading all these posts... I'm still going to wait in line for the bakery. Yes people only go because of the show Cake Boss and maybe the pastries aren't the best in the area... but it's the hype of being able to say that you had a canoli from Buddy's Bakery.

I'm on vacation... who cares if I have to wait in line. I'll let you know how long I waited.

Ottawa, Ontario
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cake Boss, Baby!

Even after reading all these posts... I'm still going to wait in line for the bakery. Yes people only go because of the show Cake Boss and maybe the pastries aren't the best in the area... but it's the hype of being able to say that you had a canoli from Buddy's Bakery.

I'm on vacation... who cares if I have to wait in line. I'll let you know how long I waited.