We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday to NJ from the UK

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Holiday to NJ from the UK

Hi,

My wife and I are quite big amusement park fans (especially me), and we'd like to visit Six Flags for the rides. Obviously it doesn't make sense to simply fly to NJ only for the park so we wanted to make a week of it.

So I'm thinking of going quite early in the season next year, preferably around early April depending on if the park is open.. (I wish they'd publish the calendar dates sooner).

My big questions are:

1) Where to stay.... the hotels on the six flags website don't seem to be very cheap averaging around $60-100 a night. If a place is good enough, and close enough to the park we don't mind. I'm likely to higher a car, so driving for half an hour or so is fine.

Does it make any sense to find accomodation close to the shore?

2)Food - We are massive food lovers, and there are many shows on TV here (man vs food for instance) which give us some insight into the food and stuff you guys have there... If anyone can give us advice on great places to eat, especially for breakfast I'd really appreciate it. the places don't have to be upper class or anything like that, one of our favourite places to eat here is a small little cafe, with no bells or whistles, but man the food is fantastic.

3) Travelling and visiting other areas... The park and safari will probably only take up 2 or 3 days, hopefully we'll have at least a week. What else can you recommend that we do while we're there? I'm sure this area has plenty we can be doing.

So yea, trying to organise this whole package into the most cost effective plan, incorporating best places to eat and visit is challenging but I'm hoping we can do alright. I'm also hoping that early season in April will be some what quieter for queues, although I am unsure whether this will be the case.

Any advice, hints or tips you can provide are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday to NJ from the UK

Those hotel rates are pretty reasonable. A few things to consider: this is not one of Six Flags' best parks. It can often draw a rowdy crowd. It is not really near anything, and dining optiions in the immediate area are limited. You could drive 30 minutes or so to the shore where there are better dinner options, but you would need to leave the park early. Also, April around here can be cold and rainy. Snow is not unheard of. I would reconsider the idea.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday to NJ from the UK

One of our DE experts will probably post a list of places to go and things to do in New Jersey. He has some very good suggestions.

But, it is very hard to answer your question. Your interests? your likes? Do you like sitting on a beach, visiting museums, historical sites, shopping, theater, hiking???

As far as hotel rates, the ones you quoted are acually low. You will need to raise that part of your budget.

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday to NJ from the UK

Hi Guys thanks for the replies.

Other interests are indeed historical sites, a small amount of shopping, probably wouldn't go to mad there...some nice bars in the evening, live music would be great, especially if it was in a bar... like a Jazz bar or something.

Owlyn, I was considering the NJ Six flags for the previous world record rides, and the huge safari. Its cold and rainy in the UK, so as long as it is not too tragic we can cope with it. However, this rowdy crowd thing might not go down to well. As for dining, yea I thought driving towards the shore would be the best option, perhaps accomdation in this area could be best... ? Breakfast, drive to the park from there or something?

Also if you guys say those prices are reasonable for your hotels, I'll raise the budget in that area, it does give more choice.

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday to NJ from the UK

Since your plans are flexible, there's a lot you can do in a week, especially with a car. I think in April the park will only be open on weekends, so plan accordingly. The rest of the week you can visit New York City, Philadelphia, and/or Atlantic City; all three are great destinations on their own. That time of year you will get good rates on shore-area B&Bs. To stay close to Six Flags, look in Ocean Grove, Asbury Park, Spring Lake, Sea Girt, or Belmar; all have easy access to Rt 195 West which takes you directly to Six Flags. As far as shopping, there's a huge outlet mall within five minutes of the park. There's a lot more to do and as the previous poster suggested, check out the links for "Things to do in NJ" that AERules will hopefully provide.

Have fun, LuvBreezes

Edited: 04 November 2011, 13:23
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday to NJ from the UK

I would suggest that you head to the Shore....the drive to Six Flags, Great Adventure would be about 1/2 hour +.

If you like music, Asbury Park would be a definite....home to the famous Stony Pony and other music venues....also has a number of good restaurants.

http://apboardwalk.com/

http://wikitravel.org/en/Asbury_Park

Next town south is Ocean Grove, a National Historic Site. It has a number of B&Bs if you like them.

http://www.oceangrovenj.com/

You could stay at one of the new chain hotels in the area such as the Holiday Inn

hiexpress.com/hotels/…hoteldetail

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,257 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday to NJ from the UK

Here are afew links of stuff that might intrest you

www.visitnj.org

www.goironbound.com

www.njskylands.com

www.capemay.com

www.redbank.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com

www.wildwoodsnj.com

www.destinationmontclair.com

www.myjerseyshore.Com

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.destinationtrenton.com

www.exit82.com

www.findsomerville.com

www.glasstownartsdistrict.com

www.gocentraljersey.com

www.historicsmithvillenj.com

www.morristown-nj.org

www.newbrunswickrocks.com

www.njsouthernshore.com

www.lambertville.org

www.atlanticcitynj.com

www.goelizabethnj.com

www.mullicahill.com

www.asburyboardwalk.com

www.mainstreetmountholly.com

www.newbrunswick.com

www.ocnj.us

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday to NJ from the UK

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions so far, this will aid my research considerably!

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,560 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday to NJ from the UK

You might find a few more interesting suggestions here:

www.funnewjersey.com/

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday to NJ from the UK

easydave, that's a great site! Thanks for adding it.

Reply to: Holiday to NJ from the UK
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted