We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jersey city hotel with easy access to NYC

UK
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Topic
Jersey city hotel with easy access to NYC

Hi there,Ive already put several posts on the NYC forum regarding this issue.I am looking for a hotel outside of Manhatten(prices are out of our budget) for 6 adults 18-23 sept.Easy access to Manhatten is very important and as this is our first trip to NY we are pretty clueless when it comes to the transport system and would prefer a direct route.There are 2 couples and 2 singles in our group..will need 2 double rooms and a 2 bed room.I have looked at the Hampton Inn & Suites Harrison/Newark Riverwalk and got a really good price on that including free breakfast but am wondering if there are any other hotels closer to Manhatten within the same price range..and also offering the same in room size etc.Ive been looking at the below site with regard to location to NYC

…yahoo.com/…

But again I dont know anything about the transport links to NYC..help!

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jersey city hotel with easy access to NYC

Any hotel in Jersey City that is near the Path train would be very convenient. The Path is only a few bucks and you can take it downtown or into mid-town. I don't know enough about the hotels in the area to comment on the one you got the good rate on, but I'm sure one of the authorities will chime in soon. My advice is to read as many reviews as you can find on the hotel, and if they are consistently bad, stay away.

Have fun,

LuvBreezes

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,245 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jersey city hotel with easy access to NYC

Check this link www.broadwayfocus.com/nj_nyc/nj_nyc.html which lists all your NJ options

Basically, as LuvBreezes says, anything near a PATH station should be your 1st choice (based on convenience), which is to say Jersey City or Hoboken or the Newark Gateway Hilton, specifically, in Newark).

Your 2nd choice should be Weehawken which has excellent bus and ferry service (but the ferries are expensive and have limted late night/weekend service).

Your 3rd choice should be Secaucus, which also has excellent bus service (just read the reviews on TA of the various properities and people will comment on whether the bus service worked).

4th choice should be anywhere else with bus service

My rankings are based strictly on convenience, but not surprisingly, you'll probably find an inverse relation between price and convenience.

Other excellent options are to stay in Queens or Long Island City which puts you right on a NYC subway route (but probably more expensive than most NJ options)

Edited: 24 March 2010, 14:52
West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,634 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jersey city hotel with easy access to NYC

You want to see NYC stay in NYC. New Jersey has plenty to do as well from the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island in Jersey City to the Battleship and Aquarium in Camden

www.visitnj.org

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com

www.asburyboardwalk.com

www.goironbound.com

www.destinationtrenton.com

www.newbrunswick.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.redbank.com

www.ocnj.us

Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
888 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jersey city hotel with easy access to NYC

The most convenient (by proximity to a PATH station) are the following:

Adjacent to station:

Courtyard by Marriott

Hyatt

---

Across the street from a station:

Westin

Doubletree

---

A couple of blocks walk:

Candlewood suites

W hotel (Hoboken)

--

The hotel you listed is a bit of a walk from the Newark PATH station, so if proximity to NYC is key, then I'd look at one of the ones above. Of the list I provided, I think the candlewood and the doubletree would probably be the cheapest.

While there is plenty to do in Jersey City, it's also very convenient to NYC via the PATH (subway) train ($1.75 per person each way). Feel free to post more questions if you have any others

Edited: 25 March 2010, 04:58
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,245 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jersey city hotel with easy access to NYC

shadowsjc: the Newark Gateway Hilton has an enclosed bridge to Newark Penn Station to pick up PATH or NJ Transit. How far a walk is it to the station?

6. Re: Jersey city hotel with easy access to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 March 2010, 20:05
West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,634 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jersey city hotel with easy access to NYC

Nice ad

Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
888 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jersey city hotel with easy access to NYC

The gateway Hilton is probably about a 5 min walk from the lobby of the hotel to the PATH station, and it's enclosed as you mentioned. The hotel itself is very nice (I stayed there once), and pretty convenient. It's a ~20 min ride into World Trade center, but longer to some of the other areas of NYC (~40 mins to 33rd street).

9. Re: Jersey city hotel with easy access to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2010, 05:16