We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How did the hotels on the Riverfront fair in Sandy?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
114 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
How did the hotels on the Riverfront fair in Sandy?

I have reservations at the Doubletree Hilton on the riverfront in Jersey City for the 1st week in Dec. Should I be looking for another place to stay? I know they still don't have power, but was the hotel heavily damaged?? Plus, assuming I stay there in Dec. How far of a walk is it to the Path train?

oxy
nyc
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How did the hotels on the Riverfront fair in Sandy?

your hotel is on the west side of washington - so no flooding, no damages. power/water has been restored to all buildings on the waterfront. some buildings east of washington had water in the lobby - but it's all been cleaned up last week. the streets are clean. cars/buses running. however there is no Path service into manhattan - not anytime soon. the ferries (nywaterways.com) are all running to battery park terminal, not midtown. the subways from downtown manhattan are running ( with some exceptions). trains are going from manhattan to bklyn.

in jc you can go to colgate ferry terminal, newport (small terminal- long lines) and hoboken along the waterfront walkway (open) - there are not many people there yet (guess 'cause hoboken was very badly flooded and service there is still limited to a few buses), that's your best bet. the light rail goes in the back of your hotel, the stop is between the mall and office buildings to the north of you - you can take the light rail (2 stops?) to hoboken ferry terminal.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
114 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How did the hotels on the Riverfront fair in Sandy?

Oxy, thank you for the update. The Doubletree hotel did email me to let me know the hotel faired very well in the storm. Now our only concern is getting in & out of NYC. We are total tourist lol! So if the Path isn't running by Dec 7th Idk what we are going to do besides use the Ferry. I hope you have a big heart and if you get news that the Path is up and running you will message me back. A BIG THANK YOU!

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How did the hotels on the Riverfront fair in Sandy?

check PATH status on http://www.panynj.gov/path/

oxy
nyc
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How did the hotels on the Riverfront fair in Sandy?

they announced that limited service will start tomorrow: JSQ-grove-newport-14st-23st-33st. so it'll skip hoboken, christopher (e village) and 9st (village at 6 ave). check the link above for updates. but you should be ok by december.

the restaurants in the immediate area are beginning to open. also supermarket is open.

5. Re: How did the hotels on the Riverfront fair in Sandy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2013, 10:17