We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

liberty science center

New Jersey
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
liberty science center

I see a lot of things to do for younger children - I have 3 grandchildren 11, 13 and 14. are there things they would be interested in.

1. Re: liberty science center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 09:58
new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
9,144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: liberty science center

I would guess your grandchildren would find plenty of interest. I’ve actually been there with many high school age youngsters who easily enjoyed a full day there.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,837 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: liberty science center

I think they would like it -- if they like science and technology. My two kids are somewhat bored there but as a boy I'd have loved it. It's like any other musuem, do they like the subject matter? Of course, you may not know in advance

New Jersey
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: liberty science center

Want to thank you all for your input. I hear what you are saying about what do they like. Kind of hard when I know one would love it, the other? and the third probably not. Any other suggestions would be more than welcomed. Again thank you. Looking for something for the day in Northern NJ.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: liberty science center

Not a full day, but lots of fun:

www.monsterminigolf.com

Also, Medieval Times...it's cheesy, but kids love it!

Edited: 19 December 2013, 15:11
Mentioned in this post
Medieval Times
Medieval Times
584 Reviews
Lyndhurst, NJ
Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
914 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: liberty science center

I think the Science Center is perfectly suited for kids that age. The last time I went, they even had mini (baby?) sharks in a tank that you could pet and hold. The IMAX theater itself is fun for all ages (kids and adults alike)

Would also second Medieval Times. If you're not familiar with it, it is a dinner and a medieval jousting show. Kind of pricey, but if you search Google, you should be able to find coupons to bring the price down.

Another fun idea would be go-karting: www.polepositionraceway.com/jersey-city/. It is located near the Liberty Science Center so you could combine those 2 things into one fun afternoon

Mentioned in this post
Medieval Times
Medieval Times
584 Reviews
Lyndhurst, NJ
Liberty Science Center
Liberty Science Center
644 Reviews
Jersey City, NJ
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,837 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: liberty science center

I also recommend Medieval Times. My kids loved it and I expected to hate it but did not. They do a good show, albeit an expensive one

Your grandkids may also like the Sterling Mine Museum http://sterlinghillminingmuseum.org/

But if they don't like Liberty Science tlhen they probably won't like Sterling either

What time of year are you doing this, by the way? And are day trips into NYC an option?

Mentioned in this post
Medieval Times
Medieval Times
584 Reviews
Lyndhurst, NJ
New Jersey
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: liberty science center

We will be going during Christmas week., and I am so pleased with the other suggestions as well. I will probably give them a choice (I know that could be nuts, but since we have it narrowed down, that should help. We won't be taking them into the city this time, but will make plans for another time. We went to Radio City this week, my husband and I and just loved it. The whole thing, the tree, the show, and ate at a restaurant Rosy O'Gradys, excellent.

You guys are very helpful. Again thanks.

By the way the Sterling Museum looks great. The only one that can be picky is the l5 year old (surprise).

Jersey City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: liberty science center

Full disclosure: I work at LSC. There are a lot of experiences for older kids (and even adults!). The movies are cool -- there is a 3D theater and the nation's largest IMAX Dome Theater. lsc.org/see-whats-happening/movies-imax-3d

If you're visiting before March 2, you can check out Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and try out the field goal kicking simulator, passing drills, and even test your jumping skills on the same equipment the pros use. lsc.org/gridironglory

And, of course, everyone loves live animals. Here's a peak at our newest additions -- critically endangered cotton-top tamarins. lsc.org/tamarins

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,837 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: liberty science center

I know you said you weren't going into the city with them this time but just in case I want to draw your attention to the show at the New Victory, it looks terrific and I'm taking my teens on New Year's day along with another family -- check out the video www.newvictory.org/Show-Detail.aspx…

The balcony seats are very cheap, only $17, though there aren't many left on most days

You could take them to eat down the block at Dallas BBQ

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas