We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House Rental on LBI

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
96 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
House Rental on LBI

We are considering a one-week home rental on LBI next summer for my family consisting of 5 adults. Can anyone tell me where to look that is quieter and that has nice houses? Also, what are the nice restaurants on LBI and what about daytime activities in addition to the beach?

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: House Rental on LBI

The area on LBI with the most to do is Beach Haven. There is shopping, restaurants, a live professional theater (The Surflight) and some bars. LBI is over 19 miles long with each community having its own "atmsophere" and traffic from one end of the island to other can be challenging especially in July and August. In Beach Haven I would recommend staying just south of the town center (often referred to as the "yacht club neighborhood" for its proximity to the Little Egg Harbor Yacht Club). This is very residential, rarely with party houses, quiet at night, but easy to get to town (bikable) Just a bit further is Holgate which has very limited commercial activity but is an easy drive to Beach Haven. On the north end of the island, Barnegat Light has great antiquing, shopping and the lighthouse.

Other than the beach, there is tennis, fishing, biking. In Haven Beach there is a stained glass studion. In Loveladies there is the Foundation for the Arts with classes and exhibits. Barnegat Light has historic Viking Village with working commercial fishing fleets.

I would recommend a site such as homeaway.com to begin looking and also contact a local realtor if that is your preference. Post again if you have specific questions.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
96 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: House Rental on LBI

Many thanks. Your answer is very informative and now will help me focus my search on homeaway.com. Their comprehensive listings give no clue about the different areas; thus my question.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: House Rental on LBI

Email owners with specific questions about location, any amenities important to you (?wi-fi for ex), and how problems are adressed if they are not local.

On LBI some listings "fudge" locations a bit, which in some cases, not a big deal, in others could be disappointing. For example, calling Holgate "south Beach Haven" may put you a bit further south than you thought. More important to some than others, but could cause one to buy the wrong beach tags ( waste of money).

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
96 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: House Rental on LBI

Beach tags? Thanks for mentioning this. I wouldn't have thought to bring it up. I'm assuming that they can be acquired when we arrive and that the renter will tell us where.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: House Rental on LBI

Some owners provide badges, and each township/borough on the island has the own price and place to purchase. In Beach Haven, there are different rates for seasonal/weekly/daily and they can be purchases on the beach (have cash available) or at borough hall.

Also if you go early in the summer or off season badges are not required.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
96 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: House Rental on LBI

Thanks for clarifying. now the tough part begins: to find a house.

7. Re: House Rental on LBI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2011, 08:00
Get answers to your questions about Long Beach Township
More Long Beach Township Topics