We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark stay instead of NYC - Hilton Penn v Other hotels

Which Newark hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Newark stay instead of NYC - Hilton Penn v Other hotels

We are intending to visit NYC in December but all the hotels are extortionate. I've read on here that Newark is a cheaper option as the PATH runs into Manhattan and I would rather spend time travelling and save my money for the important stuff. However Hilton Penn Station (the hotel I was considering) seems to be double the price of other hotels around and I am wondering that maybe hotels slightly outside town would still provide a more economic option (even once you factor in taxi fares to and from the PATH station). Does anyone have any experience of the Newark/NYC option or advice on hotels in the area?

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark stay instead of NYC - Hilton Penn v Other hotels

There are a lot of post on this

Check out the airport, Jersey City and hoboken options

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark stay instead of NYC - Hilton Penn v Other hotels

In Newark, the Hilton is your best bet because of easy PATH access, though the Robert Treat hotel apparently offers free shuttle service to/from the station -- I'd read the reviews of this hotel to get a better idea tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46671-d92490-R…

See the following link put together by a frequent poster of all your NJ options www.broadwayfocus.com/nj_nyc/nj_nyc.html

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark stay instead of NYC - Hilton Penn v Other hotels

You don't want to stay in Hoboken or Jersey City...

you'll need a car to travel from/to hotel.

I'm guessing the Marriot at the airport would be as much as the Hilton...but there is access to the train that goes through Penn Station & then to the path

But all the hotels at the airport are going to be

about the same price..but nothing like those in NYC

probably $100/night compared to $300

If I were you I'd go with the Hilton

access to the train & NYC..plus some great Spainish

food in Newark right in walking distances

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark stay instead of NYC - Hilton Penn v Other hotels

khend3163,

What the world are you talking about?????

There are hotels in Hoboken and Jersey City near the PATH. I guess you haven't heard of that ????

5. Re: Newark stay instead of NYC - Hilton Penn v Other hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 23:18