We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers

lancashire
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
First Timers

We are a party of 5 from the UK staying overnight at the Holiday Inn Newark Airport for one saturday night in January. Arriving approx 2pm. Departing at 6am following day.

Would anyone have any advise/instructions/access to any available tours of the NYC attractions that are available to us in this short timescale.

This would be first time in USA.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers

New Jersey has plenty to see as well. As for your hotel one word of advice CANCEL right away. The only things by the hotel are the Sheraton and the Prison. Here are a few links

www.visitnj.org

www.goironbound.com

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.redbank.com

www.exit13a.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com

www.ocnj.us

lancashire
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers

Thanks for the info.

Will look to cancelling staright away.

I will check out your links.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers

If you plan on going into NYC, who cares what is nearby the hotel?

As long as the hotel isn't a dump, then I wouldn't change it.

Take a taxi to Newark Penn Station, then take PATH into Manhattan.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timers

Broadway the hotel is on an isolated road. I prefer the Wyndahm or the country inn in Elizabth. There is nothing to eat near by.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46671-d92487-R…

Edited: 18 December 2009, 19:01
NJ
Level Contributor
399 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timers

For one night, who cares where you stay -- but don't judge all of New Jersey by the hotels near Newark Airport, please!

I'd take a cab to Newark Penn Station then take the PATH train to Manhattan and just walk around a bit. Maybe head up to Central Park and hit one of the "big" museums (Natural History or Metropolitan Museum of Art). Make sure to have dinner in the city, and maybe find an observation deck or do some window shopping. I'd rather wander on my own than take a bus tour.

Enjoy your first trip to the U.S.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timers

If your staying at Newark airport best get a taxi or train or bus to Grand Central Station, Manhatten. Rockefellow building,Empire state bldg, and times square are all close.Choose an Irish bar for dinner, good atmosphere, reasonably priced.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timers

Also, always check the prices at the hilton hotels right before you go.

Sometimes the prices drop suddenly for short range bookings due to lack of demand (especially in this economy).

The two to check are: Hilton Penn Station

and the Hampton Inn Newark Riverwalk (Harrison, NJ), not too far from the Harrison Path station, which you can take to Manhattan.

lancashire
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timers

thank you all for your help and information.

We will take on board all your comments, and i am sure we will have a memorable trip.

Best wishes in the New Year to you all.

9. Re: First Timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2010, 05:15