We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark Liberty International Airport in time of disaster

Which Newark hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Topic
Newark Liberty International Airport in time of disaster

The October 29, 2011 nor 'easter demonstrated that the EWR international airport demonstrated that it could handle natural disaster (snowstorm) well. Cancelled flights, lousy and overpriced accommodations, malfunctioning intra-terminal transportation, very long lines at ticket counters and security check points, traveler frustrations (i.e., air rage), etc.

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark Liberty International Airport in time of disaster

if that's your idea of well-handled, I'd hate to think what you consider to be a bad job! In any event, Newark wasn't even the worst off; I know someone who was stranded on a tarmac in CT for almost seven hours. To me, that would be much worse than riding out a weather delay in an airport.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark Liberty International Airport in time of disaster

Agree. The airport should have: refused to ground any planes (screw the FAA), provided discounts on accommodations or at least built better quality hotels nearby (or at least supply tents and sleeping bags), erected the protective dome over the terminal area to bar the elements from disrupting ground transport, forced the airlines to add more service counters and have them fully staffed, waived everyone through security since the lines to flights not going anywhere where long (TSA security is all show anyway), and provided each inconvenienced traveler with a lollipop (it was close to Halloween after all).

But seriously, if I were stuck in that mess I'd probably feel the need to vent the same way the OP did.

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
791 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark Liberty International Airport in time of disaster

Jter This was not confined to just the airport. In all the years that I have lived in NJ this was the worst storm, including hurricanes and snow storms that we have been hit with. A large amount of people in NJ are still without power. The nearest available rooms were in Pennsylvania. I and a lot of other residents would have gladly traded several days in a warm airport terminal for being stuck in a house without power and light.

4. Re: Newark Liberty International Airport in time of disaster

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2012, 05:15