We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

****Travel from Marriot Newark Airport Hotel - Manhattan****

Which Newark hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
201 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
****Travel from Marriot Newark Airport Hotel - Manhattan****

We have a 24hour stop over in Newark and staying at Marriot Hotel at Newark Airport. How easy would it be to get from then hotel into Manhattan for a few hours sightseeing and travel back out at night?

1. Do we have to take a shuttle bus to the hotel from the airport?

2. Do we have to get back to the airport from the hotel to get transport into Manhattan?

3. Should we travel in by train, bus or taxi and which transport would be safest for getting back out to the hotel around 9pm.

Any advice or tips would be welcome as we are novice travellers.

Thanks!

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ****Travel from Marriot Newark Airport Hotel - Manhattan****

I looked on the hotel's web page and they say that there is a free shuttle bus service from the hotel. There is even a map showing where to get the shuttle at each terminal.

You can take a cab from the hotel to the Newark/Liberty train station and get either a NJTransit or Amtrak train. Just be sure you get off at Penn Station New York, not Penn Station Newark.

Do the same route in reverse to return. Safety is not an issue.

Edited: 18 February 2012, 13:48
Scotland
Level Contributor
201 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ****Travel from Marriot Newark Airport Hotel - Manhattan****

Thank you for your help, when travelling back at night are there cabs on a rank at Newark/Liberty train station to get us back to the hotel? Thanks also for your reassurance about safety as we are 2 females, me a pensioner and my young teen grand-daughter and her parents are trusting me to be respknsible for her.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ****Travel from Marriot Newark Airport Hotel - Manhattan****

I just did a little more research and found out that the Newark/Liberty train station is only accessible by train or monorail from the airport....so my suggestion would be to take the shuttle back to the airport and get the monorail to the train station.

Perhaps, you might email the hotel and ask them since at this point I'm not sure about all this.

Scotland
Level Contributor
201 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ****Travel from Marriot Newark Airport Hotel - Manhattan****

Many thanks for your help, probably the hotel can advise us, do you know if there is a direct bus from the airport into NYC?

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,482 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ****Travel from Marriot Newark Airport Hotel - Manhattan****

Some of the reviews here may be of interest:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46671-d92488-R…

See information here about transportation:

panynj.gov/airports/ewr-ground-transportatio…

www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet.srv…

Good Luck

Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ****Travel from Marriot Newark Airport Hotel - Manhattan****

I don't think you can take a cab to the acctual train station. I think your best bet would be to take the hotel shuttle to P4 than the Monorail one stop. Plus there are plenty of site in new Jersey as well. Here are a few links

www.visitnj.org

www.goironbound.com

www.njskylands.com

www.capemay.com

www.redbank.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com\

www.shophaddonfieldnj.com/

www.funnewjersey.com/

www.wildwoodsnj.com

www.destinationmontclair.com

www.myjerseyshore.Com

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.destinationtrenton.com

www.exit82.com

www.findsomerville.com

www.discoversalemcounty.com

www.glasstownartsdistrict.com

www.gocentraljersey.com

www.historicsmithvillenj.com

www.morristown-nj.org

www.newbrunswickrocks.com

www.njsouthernshore.com

www.lambertville.org

www.atlanticcitynj.com

www.goelizabethnj.com

www.mullicahill.com

www.asburyboardwalk.com

www.mainstreetmountholly.com

www.newbrunswick.com

www.ocnj.us

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
136 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ****Travel from Marriot Newark Airport Hotel - Manhattan****

IMHO here is what I would do.

First, you have the distinct advantage that you are staying at the Marriott Newark airport. This hotel is actually on the airport property. You can see it from every terminal at Newark airport.

You can actually take advantage of your location and the free shuttle to/from Newark airport and your hotel and the many options of transport from Newark airport to Manhattan.

If I were you, my primary suggestion would be to book the Super Shuttle. This is designed for people arriving at the airport and needing transportation to their hotel. This is van service with up to 11 people. I would book this from Newark Airport to the Marriott Marquis. It looks like it is $20 pp. You only have 24 hours so you need to make the most of your time. Get to NYC fast and get to the places you want to see.

Here is a link:

http://www.supershuttle.com/

The Marriott Marquis is in Times Square (42nd and Broadway). The subway runs under the hotel. This is a great central location to get started. You can buy a jump on/jump off circulating bus tour here.

Another option is is a private bus. Coach USA/Olympia Trails offers private bus servce from Newark Airport to Port Authority (bus terminal in NYC - 42nd and 8th Avenue) or Grand Central Station for $28 roundtrip. This would be a good option. Each of these locations has a subway stop so you could get righ to your end destination.

Here is a link:

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.details.asp?action=Lookup&c1=Newark+Liberty+Airport&s1=NJ&c2=New+York&s2=NY&resultId=15918&order=&dayFilter=&scheduleChoice=&sitePageName=%2Folympia%2Fss%2Enewarkairport%2Easp&cbid=288246252554

The cheapest opion is the Airtrain that others have commented about.

Have fun!

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ****Travel from Marriot Newark Airport Hotel - Manhattan****

The Super Shuttle is a *horrible* idea.

The drivers try to fill up each van before heading into NYC.

So, unless your family can fill up a van; skip that idea.

The Airtrain is NOT the cheapest option. The cost is about the same as the CoachUSA buses that run every 15 minutes directly from the airport terminals to Manhattan.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 00:28
Scotland
Level Contributor
201 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ****Travel from Marriot Newark Airport Hotel - Manhattan****

Thanks to all for helpful information, still trying to suss out what's going to be easiest, Anna

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ****Travel from Marriot Newark Airport Hotel - Manhattan****

The problem for you is that easiest does not equate to cheapest.

Pick one.