We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for getting from EWR to New York City?

Which Newark hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delmar, Maryland
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions for getting from EWR to New York City?

Suggestions for getting from EWR to New York City? How long will it take? Any reasonably priced hotels in New York City?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,978 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions for getting from EWR to New York City?

The easiest wat would be to take the Airtrain from the terminal to the NJTransit train station, and from there by train to NYC. You get into Penn Station at 7th and 34th which is pretty central.

A Schedule and costs is on their web page ---> www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv…

Pjk

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,800 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions for getting from EWR to New York City?

See this FAQ tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s301/New-York-…

"Any reasonably priced hotels in New York City?" No.

But seriously, you should post your exact budget and dates of travel on the NYC forum and see what people can come up with

Also, if you're staying in Manhatten it doesn't really matter which airport you fly into (EWR, JFK, LGA) just get the cheapest flight. The exception is that if you're going to stay in Queens or Long Island City (where it's cheaper) then JFK or LGA is a better choice, and if you're going to stay in NJ (where it's cheaper) then EWR is a better choice.

You might also want to start by looking at this thread tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5207211…

Edited: 02 March 2012, 17:22
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions for getting from EWR to New York City?

Both Amtrak and NJ Transit share the same train tracks between Newark Airport and New York City. If you take the train to New York City, be sure not to take Amtrak. Amtrak costs a lot more than NJ Transit.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,800 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions for getting from EWR to New York City?

I just realized that I gave you the wrong FAQ -- see this for more exact instructions tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g46515-i4993-k4218…

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
312 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestions for getting from EWR to New York City?

The best way would be to take the Airtran from the airport to the NJ Transit train station. It is only about a 20 minute ride to NYC from there. The only hotel I have ever stayed at in NYC is Yotel. It is a few blocks away from Times square (42nd and 10th ave). The hotel is very chic but I would recommend it if you are traveling solo or with another adult (I wouldn't recommend this if you have small children or a big family). The rooms start at around $300/night for a queen cabin which is pretty cheap for NYC.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestions for getting from EWR to New York City?

No matter what, do not take the Super Shuttle into NYC. We arrived 3/1/12, went to the official looking "Ground Transportation" kiosk. The woman there lied to us about the taxi fare to NYC, failed to mention the bus that leaves every 15 minutes, did not mention the 2 public transport options, told us the only choices were Super Shuttle and GoLink.

She showed us 2 shuttle brochures. We selected Super Shuttle because she said we would leave in 35 minutes. However, though we walked out of the airport 35 minutes later, the shuttle did not leave the airport for an hour and a half. The driver would drive around, wait in hopes of more passengers, and , like some Third World bus, not leave until the shuttle van was full.

The entire experience was horrible, made even worse by the overwhelming smell of Fabreeze or some such that sickened two of the passengers.

The best bet is to take the train to Grans Central Station from the airport and then take either a taxi cab or public transit.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestions for getting from EWR to New York City?

That must have sucked!

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,681 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggestions for getting from EWR to New York City?

The train goes to Penn Station, not Grand Central.

9. Re: suggestions for getting from EWR to New York City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2013, 10:18