We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking overnight Newark Penn Station

Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Parking overnight Newark Penn Station

I've got a 2 night hotel stay planned in NYC. I'm thinking of keeping the car in NJ and taking the train over. I'm nervous about driving in NYC and also parking fees. Should I just bite the bullet? I'm staying at the Hampton Empire State. I was wondering if there is a hotel near Newark Penn Station that lets you park and would shuttle you back to the station and/or is within decent walking distance.

Edited: 29 January 2013, 21:38
West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,961 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking overnight Newark Penn Station

IMO parking in Newark is just as bad if not worse than parking in Manhattan

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,694 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking overnight Newark Penn Station

This web site http://nyc.bestparking.com/ will show you daily parking rates in NYC. When rates come up the ones in green are guaranteed rates. I just checked for a randome Feb date and found one a couple of blocks from ESB for 34/day

What with schlepping bags and all I would just use the above and drive in. The train from Newark will get you to Penn Station around 2 blocks from your hotel

But if you still want to park at the train station I'd give them a call with your questions parkfast.com/content/newark-penn-station-par…

Edited: 30 January 2013, 15:13
New Jersey
Level Contributor
421 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking overnight Newark Penn Station

Another alternative is to park the car at the ferry and take the ferry over.They have a free shuttle that runs a few routes around NYC.

Here is a link for additional info. http://nywaterway.com/Home.aspx

New Jersey
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking overnight Newark Penn Station

If you are cheap like me, here is what you do:

Check out the streets just south of Newark Penn in the neighborhood called the Ironbound. While parking can be tight there, you can find a space.

Streets like Congress or Jefferson between Ferry and Lafayette are relatively safe residential areas and fairly close to Penn. Now have a look at the parking signs: there is usually a half day when you can't park due to street cleaning. Otherwise you should be able to leave a car for a few days.

Mind you, this is a city notorious for car theift, but this is a good area as far as Newark goes and I've never had a problem.

5. Re: Parking overnight Newark Penn Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2014, 07:17