We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Newark - room with a view (but safe location)

Sussex
Level Contributor
61 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Newark - room with a view (but safe location)

Hello all. Have asked several questions this week and am really grateful for the advice so far. Have now decided to definitely spend our final night in Newark before we take our morning flight back to UK on 2 January next year.

We are a family of 5 - so need a big room (or connecting rooms) - we want to be able to get to the malls (I think they are open on New Year's Day?) during the afternoon of 1 January. We want to eat a decent family meal on the final night (don't mind if it is in the hotel but don't want VERY formal - just decent) - would probably prefer somewhere with some sort of atmosphere rather than a hotel lobby but, to be honest, it's not the most important thing . We will need a shuttle to the airport at about 5.30 in the morning PLUS what I'd REALLY love is the chance of a view of some sort from our room (I know there's no guarantee but would ring the hotel to try to reserve a room with a view). I know it will be dark - but you can still get a view in the dark... with lights!!

Has anyone got a suggestion - I looked at the Robert Treat Hotel - that seemed to have pictures showing a decent view of the NYC skyline but I am unsure about the area - anything like that is what i am after.

I really hope you can help - seem to have spent an age hunting through websites and haven't got very far.

Many thanks

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,456 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Newark - room with a view (but safe location)

Thw robert treat is in a decent area but i cannot speak about the tje veiws. The hilton Penn station might have decent veiws since that is more in the heart pf downtown.

Sussex
Level Contributor
61 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Newark - room with a view (but safe location)

Thanks Aerules - will go back and look and both of these two again.

Sussex
Level Contributor
61 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Newark - room with a view (but safe location)

Oh gosh - really? we need somewhere for our final night before an early plane home the next day and I thought it seemed a sensible location. Different people advise different things (completely understandably, of course) but I am so muddled as to what to do!?!? Why do you think it is so dangerous? have you experienced something bad happen there/

Thanks

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,456 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Newark - room with a view (but safe location)

Please ignore rhonda. Downtown newark is perfectly safe

Sussex
Level Contributor
61 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Newark - room with a view (but safe location)

To be honest, I suspect anywhere we go, whether in the US or here, could be dangerous - I live in a little village in the countryside in the UK and yet there are things I wouldn't do here because I would be putting myself at risk. As we have kids, we won't be out late or anything. We are also always sensible in terms of trying not to stand out toooo obviously as tourists (having been pickpocketed 3 times (and nearly 4 times- only prevented because a decent American guy alerted me to the fact that some man had his hand about to go into my bag!) in 20 years of going to Paris!! We also go to London very often so are used to going to a big city. I hope we would be sensible enough to avoid anywhere obviously dangerous and would always be pretty vigilant. I am still hunting for a hotel with cool views - will continue hunting in the morning! Thanks all for your help today!

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,776 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in Newark - room with a view (but safe location)

Ignore Rhonda, please.

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in Newark - room with a view (but safe location)

LOL. Like any city there are parts of Newark that may not be safe if you look for trouble usually late at night, but tens of thousands of people work, live and travel there with no problem everyday. I enjoyed working there very much for a few years. So ignore false images from anyone who posts with no actual experience, and trust posters with real experience, such as:

tripadvisor.com/…40384781

Have an Enjoyable trip & Please report back any interesting thoughts!

Sussex
Level Contributor
61 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in Newark - room with a view (but safe location)

Thanks all - and thanks EasyDave for including that link to another peron commenting on Newark. Interesting too to see he's talking about the Robert Treat too which is one of the hotels I'm thinking about.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in Newark - room with a view (but safe location)

Check out the residence in at Elizabeth. Has big rooms and up to two bedrooms and a sleeper in a suite. It is across from Jersey gardens mall and runs a shuttle to the airport. You can walk to the mall and its 4 miles from the air port. Its in a nice complex of other hotels and a few restaurants. The shuttle may not run that early you may need to take a cab.

marriott.com/hotels/…

http://www.jerseygardens.com/

Edited: 11 March 2013, 23:52
Sussex
Level Contributor
61 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel in Newark - room with a view (but safe location)

Hey jlineup - thanks for this - I will look into this idea in the morning. We do want to try to get to the malls as I think they'll be open on NY Day... this place sounds good for a family our size. Thanks for the tip - I will look into it.