We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car for NY State trip

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,958 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car for NY State trip

Hi,

We're spending 5 days in NYC then renting a car to explore the Hudson Valley and Cooperstown. I figured we'd take the train up to Poughkeepsie and rent the car but I can't find a car rental agency in the whole dang Hudson Valley that either is open for dropoff on Saturday afternoon so we can get the train back to NYC then Newark for our Sat night flight out, or that doesn't charge an enormous drop off fee at Newark. So now I'm thinking of picking up the car at Newark and doing a regular round trip, picking up Wed am and dropping off Sat pm. Is this a bad idea in some way that I don't know? Is there a better spot in the NYC area to rent?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car for NY State trip

It seems like a reasonable idea to rent the car at Newark airport, or at an off-airport location near Newark airport that offers drop-off at the airport. Check prices on major rental companies' websites, Priceline, and Hotwire.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car for NY State trip

Try an Avis or Enterprise in either Hoboken or Jersey City. Both cities are accessible via the PATH subway system which runs between NYC and NJ www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html though for the Hoboken location you may need to take a bus from PATH

Avis has locations both in Jersey City (Newport Center mall which is accessible via PATH) and Hoboken.

Enterprise also has locations in Jersey City and Hoboken -- for Jersey city, it would be the Jersey City Double tree location but call to make sure they are walkable from PATH

For the Hoboken locations just call them to see how far they are from PATH

From PATH you can transfer to Airtrain to EWR www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html

Edited: 22 March 2013, 14:43
New Jersey
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car for NY State trip

I don't like the idea of an out of town person picking up a rental in Hoboken or Jersey City, driving in or out of these places can be very confusing. It took me several years of living in the area before I could be comfortable with it! Renting from EWR puts the visitor close to major higways that they will need to take to get upstate. BTW, the hours of non-airport rental agencies on weekends has always mystified me.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car for NY State trip

it really depends on how much you can save. I used to rent out of Los Angeles airport about twice a year and one time saved almost 40% on a 7 day rental by renting at an "neighborhood" Avis locaiton vs the cheapest major rental compnay (dollar, avis, enterprise, hertz, thrifty, alamo, etc) at LAX. Airports just charge a lot of fees and taxes that get passed on, that's what made up the difference

I agree that getting to the turnpike from Hoboken or JC is a bit of a pain but really, it's not all that bad if you can save a lot

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,909 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car for NY State trip

I think your going out of your way to rent a car. Have you looked into renting in the Hudson valley

6. Re: Renting a car for NY State trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 04:16