We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Wilmingtod DE to Newark International airport DE

Newark, Delaware
3 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Wilmingtod DE to Newark International airport DE

What is the best way to get to Newark airport from wilmington de. I am planning to travel with the Check in baggage since I am travelling to India. When I checked Amtrak, there is a direct train from Wilmington to Newark but they are not allowing Check in Bag. Can you please advice whether travel by Amtrak or there are any other options.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,909 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Wilmingtod DE to Newark International airport DE

Amtrak. you don't need to check your check in bags on Amtrak.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 07:01
Newark, Delaware
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Wilmingtod DE to Newark International airport DE

Thanks for your reply.

The below comments are mentioned in Amtrak site while booking the ticket to Wilmington to Newark airport. So I am having doubt whether they will allow the checkin baggage (bigger than the size mentioned below) or not. If thats an issue, is there any other cheaper options to travel from Wilmington to Newark int. ariport.

**Due to limited space onboard trains we ask that passengers follow the Amtrak Carry-On Baggage policy listed below. Baggage that goes over the restrictions may not be accepted onboard.

2 Bags — 50 lbs. — 28" x 22" x 14" Each

Pacific Surfliner — 28" x 22" x 11**

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Wilmingtod DE to Newark International airport DE

2 bags 50 lbs is all they let you take on a plane too

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Wilmingtod DE to Newark International airport DE

To make a slight correction to what dave said, the airlines will let you take bags that are over 50 lbs but you will pay dearly for it.

Newark, Delaware
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Wilmingtod DE to Newark International airport DE

Thanks for the reply...so I can carry a checkin baggage in Amtrak right..I am bit confused bcoz they said no check in baggage allowed. ..In that case, Amtrak will be the best option I guess (charge is 118$ for the required travel time) and let me know if there any other travel option.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,909 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Wilmingtod DE to Newark International airport DE

yes.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Wilmingtod DE to Newark International airport DE

AMTRAK dies not enforce the luggage policy between Washington and Boston. Don't worry about it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Wilmingtod DE to Newark International airport DE

I would concur. you can bring the bags on the train and they will not bother you. there are racks above the seats to store them and since many on these trains are commuters you should have plenty of places to put your luggage

FYI when you get off at the newark airport amtrak station you will catch a monorail that wil bring you right to the terminal. you may need you train ticket to get on the monorail. Other can advise you on this .

Edited: 03 July 2013, 19:40
9. Re: Travel from Wilmingtod DE to Newark International airport DE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 07:18