We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked a taxi ride on the internet

Which Newark hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Booked a taxi ride on the internet

We pre-booked a taxi ride from Newark International Airport to the Ramada Hotel at Rockaway, NJ for my son. We used Airport Express Limo & Car Service and used the Internet to complete the details. They quoted $119 for the trip. My son (aged 42, by the way, and experienced in International travel!) telephoned the company in advance to confirm details. The guy who answered hardly spoke any English and didn't seem to understand what he was being asked. He finished up yelling at my son and then putting the phone down on him. Needless to say, their driver did not turn up at the appointed time. He used one of the yellow cabs outside the airport, which did a fine job for $77. Just wondered if this is normal...

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked a taxi ride on the internet

You don't pre-book a taxi.

That is not a taxi.

That is a car service.

And yes, many drivers were born in other countries and immigrated to the USA.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 14:43
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked a taxi ride on the internet

I have no idea if it's normal but tht is the problem with finding some company over the internet that no one's ever heard of

The usual recommendation for a car out of EWR to a NJ location is to use a taxi rather than a car service. To a NY location it's a different story

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked a taxi ride on the internet

OK, may not have used the correct terminology, but we wanted it sorted out in advance of his arrival. The firm concerned has an elaborate web site covering most of USA so assumed they were Kosher. Apparently not. It was not the driver's nationality that was of concern, but they should use despatchers who understand English. We had heard that some of the taxis (or cars) that hover about outside Newark arrivals terminal are not licensed. Not sure that is so, but had been told that by a traveller to that area. We were actually intending to use the same firm to go to NY as well if they proved satisfactory.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked a taxi ride on the internet

If you don't want to use a taxi then given the fact that I don't know any local car companies the only truly national company I would feel comfortable recommending is Airbrook www.airbrook.com

"We had heard that some of the taxis (or cars) that hover about outside Newark arrivals terminal are not licensed"

that is true

Edited: 06 August 2014, 19:20
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked a taxi ride on the internet

I want to clarify, if you get a taxi through the dispatcher at the taxi line then it is 100% legitimate. What are illegitimit are the guys who come up to you and say they are a taxi.

As long as you go out of the terminal to one of the taxi dispatchers you willl be fine

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked a taxi ride on the internet

Thanks - that is most helpful. Will do that next time.

7. Re: Booked a taxi ride on the internet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Newark